Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bashr52
Theres a few ways to do it, one involves bricks, string, and a few wood posts. The easiest way is to center the bars and run a tape from the center of the tires in the rear, and then from the front and compare measurements. Meaure from a common point to the center to determine which wheel needs to move which way and how much.

Say the rears were out farther than the front by 2in. By measuring from a common point (like center of the frame) to the center of each rear tire, you could determine if one has to move in 1.5 and the other .5 or something.
Yeah, I had a laser level thing out there and it helped a bit, but luckily I was just being overly picky. If its off, its only by 10-20mm tops. I was trying to measure the distance between the centerline lugs on the tires, but after thinking, I realized that will only align them with each other, not the vehicle. One of them would have to be aligned perfect for that to work.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I solved my shifting issue I was having. Turns out, the arm that is welded onto the shifter shaft had been broken and welded up by someone. The weld hadn't been ground off enough and was dragging on another part of the shifting mechanism underneath the right side engine case. While I had the engine cover off, I noticed my clutch plates have very little life in them. Do they sell new plates/shoes for the centrifugal clutch? It runs great now that I can shift with no problems, except the clutch slips at high rpms.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'd like to know if they sells shoes for the centrifugal clutch too.

If your clutch slips at high rpm, its not the centrifugal.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Judging by their condition, I would think that is causing the problem. Why wouldn't it slip if the pads are wore out?

Old 06-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

as the rpms go up, the force goes up exponentially. There is no way it would slip if its not slipping at low rpms. Its your other clutch.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Maybe it is slipping at the lower rpms and I'm not noticing it. If it is the other clutch, would it slip in all the gears, just one, or a few?

Old 06-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The centrifugal clutch slips as part of normal operation at low rpms. As the rpms increase, the clutch grabs harder n harder. That's how you can sit there in gear and not move until you give it gas.

The other clutch will slip anytime the engine puts out more power than the friction between the disks (which varies with the kind of oil you put in) and usually will slip at high rpms because that is where the power is most.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys, here's a nearly top speed test run on the DVX from this weekend! My hands hurt from trying to hold onto that thing! What a beast!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 86 Suzuki LT230, i have just got done rebuilding the engine. But now that its put back together it wont start. there is no fire, i have replaced the spark plug. the only thing i can think of is the magneto, but i dont know alot about them. any information on what the problem could be or about the magneto in general would be helpful.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I know when I put new magneto coil in mine, it wouldn't start or produce a spark. The instructions said to switch the wires if that happened. I did and it worked. But if you didn't touch the magneto, I don't think randomly switching wires is wise. Did the engine run before you rebuilt it?

Rummage thru the Vault link in atvman's siggy for info.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.