Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought an '85 for 500$ a few months back, started it for the first time a few days ago and it smoked a little, dropped the oil and shavings were found, decided to pull motor and rebuild, then i figured i might as well powder coat, its being blasted as we speak, send to powder guy mon/tues

everything black except rims, grab bar and lettering on the seat, those will be gold

ordered all new bearings and seals for entire bike
tierods and ends
all new ball joints
4 new rims & tires, powdercoated gold
an aluminum carrier from guy in canada
oem rear master cyl, caliper, rotor, pads, hardware
fornt pads
front and back master cylinder rebuild kit
front and back caliper rebuild kit
clutch cable
throttle cable
a **** ton of missing hardware
seat cover/have pad swapped out at an upholsterer down the block
grab bar
grips
levers
the rear skid plate which im not sure if it
will work with new carrier
left foot peg
left spindle
have to weld a missing bracket onto neck of frame
head light gaurd
there is more i just cant remember

i cant find bigbore kits, matter of fact i cant find much for this thing online, will tare down motor tomorrow, sending crank to vince, maybe add some power while i have it apart anyone have suggestions?

also i need front/rear sprockets and chain, recommend tooth count and why?

i'd also like a front and rear suspension anything out there?

gonna weld on a replacement tab

this is what it looked like a few days ago

this is what im gonna make it look similar to

on the lift

ready for blasting

Old 08-29-2023, 02:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

By everything black I assume you mean plastics as well. If so, don't paint them, it never works. If you must, plastic wrap. The bike is nearly 40 years old, few will still exist, so it won't be worth tuning firms while to make special parts for them any more.

The following users liked this post:
NYmike (12-02-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 05:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
By everything black I assume you mean plastics as well. If so, don't paint them, it never works. If you must, plastic wrap. The bike is nearly 40 years old, few will still exist, so it won't be worth tuning firms while to make special parts for them any more.

i was hoping there might be leftover kits sitting around on a shelf somewhere that i could buy

Old 08-31-2023, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

maier kit black

Old 10-13-2023, 09:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I recently got an 86 model and it is leaking gas from the carb. I know it is a vent hose that goes from the carb to the air filter box it is that long hose that goes under the choke and back down. Does anyone have pictures of this hose on the inlet side? I can not find were this hose should connect or anything apart from the carb and it is driving me nuts! Thanks.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default Hose routing

Originally Posted by RND0303
I recently got an 86 model and it is leaking gas from the carb. I know it is a vent hose that goes from the carb to the air filter box it is that long hose that goes under the choke and back down. Does anyone have pictures of this hose on the inlet side? I can not find were this hose should connect or anything apart from the carb and it is driving me nuts! Thanks.
Here's a picture of the routing from my 85 service manual,its not the best but might help.

Old 10-14-2023, 03:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 305 Likes on 299 Posts

Don't know the 230s but most Suzukis have a vacuum operated fuel tap or pump, so when the engine stops, fuel flow to the carb does too. There is a prime setting on the tap so you can fill the carb with the engine stopped but, if you leave the tap on prime, eventually the float needle in the carb will stick and dump your fuel into airbox and engine. So, your float needle has stuck.

Old 10-14-2023, 07:32 AM
Trailblazer
Default Fuel leaking

Make sure that your needle and float are free moving and clean. Typically, under normal conditions you should not see fuel coming out of the carb anywhere. If it's leaking out when it's just sitting there's something wrong and I'd start at the needle/float.

Old 10-14-2023, 07:38 AM
Trailblazer
Default Rear shock

Getting a rear shock will prove challenging for sure. Ebay has lots of used ones but few will still be good after all these years. There mods for putting a warrior shock on but the length is a bit longer and it changes the ride height. Then the clearance with the air box is also tricky if I remember correctly. I put one on mine but I fabbed up a mount to clear my air box. You also have to realize that the warrior shock is not setup for the quadsport weight and swing arm/shock angle so it may take some fiddling to find your sweet spot.

Old 12-02-2023, 01:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 86 230s dies when warm

I bought an 86 lt230s from my buddy for super cheap, didn’t run. Had zero compression so I took apart the top end and found a little bite in the exhaust valve. The cylinder wall is fine and no rock in the piston. there was no air filter so i imagine a rock was sent through the exhaust valve. took the “cheap” route and only replaced the 1 valve, not the seal at the time. the intake valve looked in very good condition so i left it. Made sure valve lash was adjusted properly and it started right up but smoked like crazy. Rode it around a small amount in my backyard as it’s my first quad and i got excited. It ran really good, but when it warmed up to full temp it would bog out every so often but continue to run. I figured it was the valve seal as it only shot out smoke on decel and quick accel, then would bog for 10 seconds until it burnt up. Now, I replaced the exhaust valve seal and it runs good when cold, with a little smoke only once the exhaust heats up a bit. I think that could be from oil in the exhaust from riding it with bad seals. not sure if it’s burning oil still as it won’t run long enough to burn it all out. But once the engine warms up to operating temp it will misfire and die out even with throttle, and then not come back to life until cooled. I have cleaned the carb and adjusted it to spec, double checked 3 times. Spark looks weak, and the plug is a little sooted up so I am getting a plug today to see if that will help, but would it work ok when cold and stop when warm? Why did it work before I did valve seal? I am stumped on what else it might be. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.