Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm havent looked yet prob around 5400 for a nos 2006.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by lt230sman
hey guys i know its not 230 related, but those of you who stick around here might appreciate this:

the 250r ate it big time yesterday. the upper shock mount gave way landing a jump, the shock shaft snapped, the front dug in to the ground, and my friend landed so hard on the bars it broke my steering stem and broke his wrist in two places. then the bike rolled 3 or 4 times down a big hill and broke some more stuff. my friend doesnt remember any of this.

i say, ITS LTR450 TIME SON!!!

Ouch! Hope your friend has a speedy recovery. That way he can help w/the repairs and work on that down payment on the 450 for you!

Not 230 related? I clearly saw one lurking around in the background of one of those pics. Although, it was kind of hard to see as I whincing looking at those photos!

Good luck with it.

I'm heading back to look for the hardened-steel-acorn-nut-type thing you mentioned to help with my flywheel!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

haha thanks dude, and good luck with your 230!

if it's of any help to you, they kinda look like this:

this one here is a briggs and stratton tool (i used to work at a small engine shop and we used those things all the time)

Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer
Default Connecting Rod Help

So I'm thinking about taking a stab at replacing the connecting rod in the LTZ250. The problem is, I can't find one anywhere! Does anybody out there know if this conrod was used in other machines? I'm finding the LTF250, Ozark, Eiger, LTZ400, etc but nothing for the '04+ 250 Quadsport.
I've tried Rocky Mountain ATV, ProCycle Depot, Ebay, etc with no luck. Bike Bandit has the stock/oem rod buy itself but I was hoping to find a kit with all the necessary pieces included. It looks like I can get all the pieces individually through Bike Bandit but in the end it'll cost about $175 which is about $50-$75 more than the aftermarket kits out there.

Any suggestions?

I might pick up a 230 conrod as well while I'm at it to use for practice. This one took a beating along the way. I'm not sure if the crank itself is still salvageable or not - you might be able to make out the gouges in the pic below. Fortunately, I have another cylinder with a fully intact sleeve:

Name:  CIMG2178.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  143.7 KB

Name:  CIMG2189.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  CIMG2192.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  68.6 KB

Old 09-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

WOW! that is some scary damage there!!!

ill do a little looking around for ya...

Old 09-25-2009, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

Well I'm finally going on my first long outing on Sunday. It will be mostly crusing through woods, and fields in Pennsylvania.

How long does a full tank usually last on these? Not sure if I'll have enough if I just top off before I go, or if I should bring a 5 gallon can with me too.

Old 09-25-2009, 08:08 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by bashr52
Well I'm finally going on my first long outing on Sunday. It will be mostly crusing through woods, and fields in Pennsylvania.

How long does a full tank usually last on these? Not sure if I'll have enough if I just top off before I go, or if I should bring a 5 gallon can with me too.

I've never run one of mine for hours or miles on end, but I will pull them out on the weekends for 2-4hrs at a time and seriously not have to put gas in the tank for 3-4 weekends. I'm all through the range though - idling, slowly cruising around the yard w/the kids and running wide open in 5th on a dirt road. It feels like I'm getting 6-10hrs from a tank of gas. That's on a relatively good tuned bike with a recently rebuilt carb. Although, the other one that has a carb w/a broken choke does just about as good and is tuned like crap.

Ultimately, I'm probably no help

Have fun out there!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I've been running my quad on like a gallon of gas on the reserve side of the tank for a few weeks. I've only been out for mabie 10 or so minutes at a time though, and not every day. Weather report just changed now and they're saying rain starting tomorrow, which figures since I've been looking forward to it for the last month. I really don't want to go out and play in the soup, especially with those big *** V tread tires on the rear of that thing!

Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

well it never hurts to bring some extra gas, but my 230 (fairly built; 32mm carb, 243cc, 10.5:1, dg exhaust, etc) usually runs through one tank per day of riding (usually about 7-8 hours of HARD riding). plus it runs a little rich. so id say you should be able to get 10+ hours out of yours.

good luck on your first big trip!

Old 09-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I've been running my quad on like a gallon of gas on the reserve side of the tank for a few weeks. I've only been out for mabie 10 or so minutes at a time though, and not every day. Weather report just changed now and they're saying rain starting tomorrow, which figures since I've been looking forward to it for the last month. I really don't want to go out and play in the soup, especially with those big *** V tread tires on the rear of that thing!

It was certainly a washout in my neck of the woods today - hope it was better where you are and not as rainy as they predicted.

What a difference some regular maintenance makes! I rebuilt a spare carb I had kicking around last week and put it on my most put together machine. I also cleaned the airbox and oiled the filter. After kicking the crap out of the thing to get it started, she fired up and ran like a champ! A little tweaking of the idle screw and it's like 1986 all over again.

Quick question for the experts out there:
This carb was completely cleaned out and rebuilt. Before putting it on the quad I drained the gas from the old carb into the rebuilt one so the bowl was probably 1/2 to 2/3rds full. I had the gas flowing to the carb, the kill switch on 'Run' and it seriously must've taken 50-60 kicks for the damn thing to start. Once I got it running and warmed up a little, it kicked over fine on the first kick. What would make it so difficult to start that first time? My other one wasn't even that hard after I redid the top end and put on a rebuilt carb (with an empty bowl). I don't think I flooded it - I couldn't smell gas at least...
Also, this particular machine seems to have low compression. I can move the kick starter with my hand. It doesn't smoke though which is weird. Could that be a valve thing?
My other one is so hard to kick sometimes that the kick start won't move and the machine just rocks in place as I'm putting everything into it.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.