Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has 3 headlight wires black/white,white, and yellow. but I had to unhook all the wires to get the headlight bracket off. If I'd known this would be so hard to do I would have left that ugly light on there.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 1slowZ28
hey guys ive been trying to get my wiring back together from taking off my headlight and I am left with one wire unhooked it is a redish orange wire that is covered in some kind of cloth looking material and it is wrapped up with a black wire that is covered in the same cloth like material as opposed to the regular vinyl insulation. Does anyone know where this wire goes? Ive got the black wire hooked up with all the black and white wires as the wiring diagram shows but I just can figure the last wire out.
Also, there's a wiring diagram in the Vault (the link in my sig) at the bottom of the parts diagrams page.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

I know, thats the one I am using. I've got everything else hooked up right I think but I cant figure this last wire out. the wiring diagram has it listed as an orange wire I believe they have it going to the headlight switch to a red/yellow wire I believe but there is no such wire one mine. Any ideas?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I know, thats the one I am using. I've got everything else hooked up right I think but I cant figure this last wire out. the wiring diagram has it listed as an orange wire I believe they have it going to the headlight switch to a red/yellow wire I believe but there is no such wire one mine. Any ideas?
What's going on inside your light on/off switch? Mine had the switch broken off and had the two wire just taped together. If your switch is missing too, it was on top of the throttle on the right handlebar, so take out those two screws and take a peek.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Trailblazer

The switch is in good shape, I took it apart last week to figure out what wires were hooked to the kill switch. I am going to see if I can get it started the way I have it wired up right now. Like I mentioned earlier I am just lacking 1 wire.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

The switch is in good shape, I took it apart last week to figure out what wires were hooked to the kill switch. I am going to see if I can get it started the way I have it wired up right now. Like I mentioned earlier I am just lacking 1 wire.
If you were looking at the kill switch, are you sure you weren't just looking at the low/high beam switch on the left handlebar? The light on/off switch is on the right handlebar in the same box as the throttle.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

Mine has 3 headlight wires black/white,white, and yellow. but I had to unhook all the wires to get the headlight bracket off. If I'd known this would be so hard to do I would have left that ugly light on there.

I've re-wired a couple of these and have gotten to know them quite well! Here's where they go:

That Orange wire covered in the cloth material comes from your magneto and connects directly to the Red/Yellow wire in your lights on/off switch (the one on top of your thumb throttle).

Your Yellow wire from the headlight connects to one of those nifty little connections (that allow for 3+ wires to connect to) that has ONLY a yellow wire connected to it. That Yellow wire terminates in your headlight high/low beam dimmer switch.

The White wire coming from the headlight connects to the single White wire that terminates at your headlight high/low beam dimmer switch. The nifty little connector thing should only accept one wire in/out but after 20+ years, things may have been cut/spliced/etc along the way.

Finally, your Black/White wire is just the ground and should connect to the nifty little connector that has 4 or 5 other Black/White wires going into it. You can find it pretty easily because it terminates at the screw that holds your regulator on the frame.

This is all assuming you're working with a 230s Quadsport.

Hope it helps - if anything's confusing or you can't find those wires, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Range Rover

theres a orange wire coming from the coil and it goes down into the block or it might come from the light, i know there a orange and black one side by side cause i had to cut them to take my light off for the re build but i put the light back on and re conected those

Old 10-11-2009, 06:31 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by atvman29
If you were looking at the kill switch, are you sure you weren't just looking at the low/high beam switch on the left handlebar? The light on/off switch is on the right handlebar in the same box as the throttle.
Yes I am sure I was looking at the Kill Switch as opposed to the lighting switch.
sdunlimited: That was a very helpful post however as I mentioned earlier I do not have a yellow/red wire I only have the 2 yellow wires which I have hooked up as you mentioned. There is also a black wire that is covered in the same cloth material that I have hooked up with all the other black/white wires as per the wiring diagram shows is this correct? and my final question is should my bike run without the orange wire hooked up?

Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I am sure I was looking at the Kill Switch as opposed to the lighting switch.
sdunlimited: That was a very helpful post however as I mentioned earlier I do not have a yellow/red wire I only have the 2 yellow wires which I have hooked up as you mentioned. There is also a black wire that is covered in the same cloth material that I have hooked up with all the other black/white wires as per the wiring diagram shows is this correct? and my final question is should my bike run without the orange wire hooked up?
Sorry, I meant to kind of say if you were looking at the kill switch at the same time, you might have been confusing the high/low beam switch with the on/off switch which is supposed to be on the right handle bars. This is because the high/low beam switch is in the same component as the kill switch.

The **** on top of #2 in this image is the on/off switch I'm referring to. Sorry if I'm confusing the matter more!

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.