Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atvman29
I'm not sure if you can take them apart, but when I painted my 250S shocks, I slid paper behind the springs (which was a pain in the a$$) then taped paper on the tops and bottom.

Worked pretty good for me.
how did you paint in behind the spring or did you atvman?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default not starting

not really i got on little puff but it didnt do it agian and i kicked it a hundred times. i no i didnt flood it cuase no gas lines are hooked up just using gas from spaybottle and starting fluid

Old 10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by quadnewbie87
not really i got on little puff but it didnt do it agian and i kicked it a hundred times. i no i didnt flood it cuase no gas lines are hooked up just using gas from spaybottle and starting fluid

At least you got a little puff from it - you've got something to work with. When you say it's got good compression, have you checked it with a gauge or are you just putting your thumb over the plug hole? I thought I had decent compression on the 250 I picked up because it would solidly push my thumb off the plug hole. Come to find out, I had a whopping 70psi or so. After removing the head, I find the rings completely shot, piston destroyed, cylinder walls scoured, etc. Check back a few pages in this thread for photos.

If you've checked compression w/a gauge and you're at/near spec (about 178psi - 220psi) then you can back track from there. If compression is low, put about a teaspoon or so of 10w/40 in the plug hole and take another compression reading to see if it comes up. If it does, it's a good indication that it's your rings (and these seem to ALWAYS need new rings from my (short) experience).

The guys on this thread have been very helpful to me and they know what they're talking about. It won't be long until you have that thing running or know for sure what's preventing it from starting.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jory230
how did you paint in behind the spring or did you atvman?
I painted the whole things black first, then masked everything but the spring. I put paper behind the springs which was a pain.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by atvman29
I painted the whole things black first, then masked everything but the spring. I put paper behind the springs which was a pain.
thats actually a bright idea never really thought that one through lol i guess thats why im a welder :P

Old 10-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jory230
thats actually a bright idea never really thought that one through lol i guess thats why im a welder :P
It was also nice because the black kind of acted as a primer then for the red. I don't think it ever chipped!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Haven't checked the thread in a while, have I missed anything? I've got a full time job now, so I don't have nearly as much time to tinker with my atv's. I was thinking about stretching my 230 shaft drive model, as the front end is so light that it makes turning tough. I figured if I ever did stretch it, I would just have to stretch the front end out. That way I would only need a brake and throttle cable to extend. I don't even know for sure that stretching it a few inches would even help the front end stay on the ground, but something needs to be done about it. I'm also not concerned about the plastic not matching up, as it is in terrible shape. The most realistic thing to do in this situation would be to sell the damn thing, but it looks terrible and smokes like a ****.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by toadson
Haven't checked the thread in a while, have I missed anything? I've got a full time job now, so I don't have nearly as much time to tinker with my atv's. I was thinking about stretching my 230 shaft drive model, as the front end is so light that it makes turning tough. I figured if I ever did stretch it, I would just have to stretch the front end out. That way I would only need a brake and throttle cable to extend. I don't even know for sure that stretching it a few inches would even help the front end stay on the ground, but something needs to be done about it. I'm also not concerned about the plastic not matching up, as it is in terrible shape. The most realistic thing to do in this situation would be to sell the damn thing, but it looks terrible and smokes like a ****.
Nah, you haven't missed much. Been relatively quiet around here lately. I've also gotten busy with school, work, and 2 hours of driving everyday. Then my professors have been assigning quite a bit of homework to top it off.

I actually think that stretching the front end out would make the front end even lighter as it would put less of your weight on the front wheels. Stretching out the back end would then put more weight on the front wheels. I think stretching it out also makes it a little harder to turn in general because it would be less willing to pivot (turn). Think about it like this, a limo takes wider turns than a Smart Car because the Smart Car is a lot shorter.

Hope this helps and someone correct me if I'm wrong. Its the weekend so my brain's on stand-by.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer

hey guys ive been trying to get my wiring back together from taking off my headlight and I am left with one wire unhooked it is a redish orange wire that is covered in some kind of cloth looking material and it is wrapped up with a black wire that is covered in the same cloth like material as opposed to the regular vinyl insulation. Does anyone know where this wire goes? Ive got the black wire hooked up with all the black and white wires as the wiring diagram shows but I just can figure the last wire out.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

There should just be 2 headlight wires. One goes to the black wire, the other to the white or hot wire.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.