Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
Hi all, i'm new here and i just started buildinding my 230. i bought it in Michigan Sept 29 with the trade mark hole in the mag cover. i replaced the whole left side of the engine and my buddy put it in time. and after sitting for a year and a half, its running strong and is whole nother world for me, i had an lt125 and go tired of being left in the dust, now with the 230 its still happening. i need some sprocket ratios that wont rob my trail performance, which is where my 230 is untouchable by my friends. so if anyone has any mild upgrade ideas plz send some my way. will post up pics of the build as they happen. thanx
hey if you look back a few pages i went over a bunch of great mods you can do to your 230. and isn't it just amazing how untouchable such an old bike can be in the woods?! i have a fully built lt250r and honestly, with a good rider in tight woods, my 230 is nearly just as fast! and the ride is MUCH more pleasant too!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
hey all,
i found a guy on ebay who can make braided stainless steel brake lines for the 230s. and the best part is they carry a lifetime warranty. all you have to do is measure the length of the lines and send them to him. i have his phone #. just pm me and i'll give it to you.
got a rough idea on what a setup like the one pictured would cost? im probably going to be getting new lines for my 230 before the start of next race season...

Old 01-04-2010, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 230suzukirider93
Hey names Jeff new to the forum. i have a 230lt quadsport and i was wondering about how much would a shop bored it out like .75 with a weico piston and rings? and if i should so any other upgrade to compinsate for that extra hp? another thing does anyone know a website were i can get a chain guard to stop it from hitting the block and some shock upgrades from? thanks guys advise appreicated
hey youre gonna have to go .080, .075 isnt available. anyways, theres a guy on ebay that will bore your cylinder out for about $40 and shipping. you can get a "case saver" from either denniskirk or vincescycle. i prefer vince's unit but trust me, if you throw the chain good enough, damage will still occur! so ALWAYS have a good, lubed, properly tensioned O RING chain with fresh steel sprockets and good swingarm piviot and axle bearings! and for additional performance upgrades, at least get a 30mm mikuni TM or VM carb with a UNI filter and DG exhaust (if you dont mind noise). MAJOR performance boost just with them. shouldnt have any problem wasting mojaves, 300ex's, warriors, and blasters (till the latter two get halfway through 6th). it will be a little slower than a stock 400ex at that point. porting and cam work is more advanced but can yield even more power if thats what you want, but you may lose some rideability in the woods.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Daddypimpin
Hi to all & may I start by saying I think the information & attitude on this Forum seems second to none! I have a few other "toy's" as-well & always like to get stuck right in-to all the knowledge I can find on any new one that comes along. Although I have found that not all the places I chat on are as nice & helpful as this one! So when I got my newest Quad & found this Site..... Lets just say I haven't had much sleep for the last few days lol!

After doing a few searches, then reading from page 1- 26 & then about 15 pages back from the last page I decided I would have to make a Post to make it not only faster but easier for myself to find out some answers!

To all who read further:

I think its great if anyone that reads my Posts finds them in anyway interesting or helpful. From here on though it will be mainly questions that probably only those with a deep insight into these Quads will be able to answer so it may get a little long winded for some, just a heads-up!

First of all I will say that cutting, welding & all minor modifications to parts can be undertaken by myself &/ or friends if information is available or is easily worked out. I.E. extending the Swing Arm!

So............lol

Does anyone have any experience with the LT 160!?!

Can anyone say if any of the 230/ 250s Swingers &/ or Axle's are interchangeable with the 160 Frame/ Carrier?

I know lots of Swingers, Axles & Hub's are interchangeable between the 230s, 250s & even a few other Quads, sometimes depending on the Year. So what would be an over -all best set up for running on flat ground/ Grass, a few Trails & maybe the odd 3ft jump lol! I.E. best O.E Swinger off the newest Quad that will fit the 230/ 50 Frame & Carrier. This I can cut & weld for a extension to save money on buying a aftermarket Item! Best O.E Axle, for Width & Strength. Best O.E Hub's, either 4 Stud or Five to match the Axle! I read in a past Post on here about how much better Swingers were off Quads like the Honda TRX of about the same age. So I go look around at some pic's of a TRX Swingers etc. They obviously look kind of similar to the 230/ 250s & mounting is still via Two Tubular Sections where it joins the Frame. Anyone have anything to say on whether they think it would be too hard a job to mount something like the TRX Swinger!?! Then you would also be able to run one of the TRX's Axle's etc!

What would be a good Wheel & Tyre Package for running on the previously mentioned ground? I'm not looking to spend stupid money here & I will probably end up having to buy most Parts from the US & then have them Shipped over to the UK so things start getting pricey! Again, I have read that Wheels from other Quads fit if you have changed to 5 Stud Hub's etc. So if I had done that, what would be a good Off-set Wheel to run? I think I will probably want to go with about a 20" Tyre.

If there were say something like a 600cc Motor sat where the 230/ 50(/160 lol) one used to be, what would be a good Front & Rear Sprocket set-up?
hey welcome to the forum and im glad to hear that its working out well for you! is your swingarm broken or are you just in search for a performance upgrade?

Old 01-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

WHOOO POST #1000!

I figured I'd make it in the thread that has helped me so much and I just want to extend a big thanks to all the folks that have helped my 230 and I get on our feet...

PS: The 230's back in commission and running strong! Just needs to be re-jetted for the 10-20 degree winter weather...

Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default brake lines

Lt230sman,
The brake lines i posted up will probly run about $50-$70 plus what ever shipping to you costs. the thing i like is that they have a lifetime warranty. i can get more details later.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

need some help guys i finaly found some LT's for sale after selling mine and hating myself for it i posted an ad on kijiji [pretty much the canadian creigslist] and i got this reply "hi i have a 1989 suzuki lt230 for sale if your still looking for one needs a bit of work it wont kick start but you can jump start and it smokes but it has alot of power if your interested email me back thank" so it would need top end and whatever is wrong with the kick start. and i got this reply "Hi I have a 84 lt 250 but it needs the top end rebuilt I'm asking 300 it needs front fenders as well clutches were replaced 4 yrs ago" so im looking at a top end either way but ones a 230 and ones a 250 but im think fenders might be hard to come by they both want $300 witch one do i go for? thanks in advance

Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

84 lt250? does he have any pics? if it is an 84, its not a sport model its definitely a semi-auto utility with no suspension but im pretty sure all they had in 84 was a 185

Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by lt230sman
84 lt250? does he have any pics? if it is an 84, its not a sport model its definitely a semi-auto utility with no suspension but im pretty sure all they had in 84 was a 185
heres a pic of the 230 but the shape of the 250 makes me wanna go for the 230 cause the seats all ripped to crap and the plastics all cracked i think the 230 it is yay finaly might have myself and acceptable 4 wheeler now

Attached Thumbnails 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.-cycles-007.jpg  
Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by NBstunter
heres a pic of the 230 but the shape of the 250 makes me wanna go for the 230 cause the seats all ripped to crap and the plastics all cracked i think the 230 it is yay finaly might have myself and acceptable 4 wheeler now
I would personally go with the 230, even if the other one was a 250S. Parts for the 250S are IMPOSSIBLE to find. And from what I've heard, the plastics are essentially non-existent.

230 all the way.

EDIT: By the way, since the 230 is a 89, wouldn't it be an LT230E?

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.