Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man I ordered a carb rebuild and I'll hit u up about those plastics.... Anyone know about the valves???

Old 02-25-2010, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think Atvman29 might know more about valves than i do. but i do have an extra head and jug set up. basically the hole top end. its in excellent shape.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default gettin shocked

So i live in upstate new york and we just got pounded with snow the other day. So me and my friends decided to go out road riding. Well were out riding for like 2-3 hours on the way back to the house the 230 started kinda losing power, but it would come back then go away again. My headlight shorted out or something and everytime i touch the metal on the handle bars id get shocked. Ever happen to anyone else?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

Check your wiring. there is a short somewhere and it could possibly ruin your stator. or worse it could ignite fuel vapor and really make a mess. i have seen this happen with a dirt bike once and its not pretty.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by nullnotta
Hi folks i'm new here and found this site from The Vault.... Awesome site thank you atvman29. So heres my story I just bought a 86 LT230S a few days ago. The Jack A** thought it was a 2stroke and had been running mixed gas in it. From the research i have done this will kill the valves?? It plumes smoke petty bad. I have drained the tank and cleaned the carb. Also it is a nightmare to start so i start to think the valves again. Anyhow at this point I have decided to do a complete rebuild. I'm in the process of tearing it down now. (oh yeah I have no idea what i"m doing) so here's my first round of questions

1.) Any Idea how much to replace the valves??
2.) I cant find plastics for less than five hundred + shipping anywhere... anyone know where i can some cheap ones??
3.) is the frame the same as a 250r??
4.) Does anyone know if other damage can be done by this guy running mix gas in it??

Thanks to anyone that can help!! I'll try to post some pics tomorrow and along the way. I wasn't sure where to post this so if its in the wrong place I'm sorry and will be more than happy to move it.
Hey! Welcome to the forum and glad you found it through the Vault!

You might want to check Bike Bandit or eBay for the Valves. I would think one of them places could hook you up.

Plastics are pricey. You can look into Trailrider's plastics, eBay, or keep a close eye on your, and surrounding area craigslists. Every so often, a set will pop up around here.

No, the 250R frame is not the same as the 230.

I'm not sure about any other damager caused by running a mix through. Like Trailrider said, definitely rebuild the carb. That's a hilarious story though!

And if you're feeling ambitious, write an article and take some pics about your valve job and I'll put it in the Vault!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hey everyone i got some more pics of the restore in my album.

Atvman, i should have that write up done by saturday. been busy shooting paint and the fumes are getting to my head.I probly wont get to do the frame for a while. i gotta get some more green paint made and at $75 a quart it doesnt go very far. i think its too transparent of a paint and a pain to work with. One missed step on mixing ruins everything. and trust me i have screwed the first few shots up. And i am still waiting on my clear coat to come in.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
Hey everyone i got some more pics of the restore in my album.

Atvman, i should have that write up done by saturday. been busy shooting paint and the fumes are getting to my head.I probly wont get to do the frame for a while. i gotta get some more green paint made and at $75 a quart it doesnt go very far. i think its too transparent of a paint and a pain to work with. One missed step on mixing ruins everything. and trust me i have screwed the first few shots up. And i am still waiting on my clear coat to come in.
Looking good man!

@ $75 a quart, it should darn near paint itself!

Old 02-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah thats what i thought. My dang paint gun froze up last night because i accidentally left it outside while the can and nozzle was being soaked in thinner. i went out this morning and saw it sitting by my father-in-laws garage and thought ohh crap! needless to say i'll be replacing some seals today.

Tip of the day: paint fumes are bad for the brain.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
Yeah thats what i thought. My dang paint gun froze up last night because i accidentally left it outside while the can and nozzle was being soaked in thinner. i went out this morning and saw it sitting by my father-in-laws garage and thought ohh crap! needless to say i'll be replacing some seals today.

Tip of the day: paint fumes are bad for the brain.
Nice! Gotta love that kind of stuff. Hopefully I'm going to get a chance to goof around with my 350L some tonight...dig into it a bit and see if I want to keep it or sell it come spring.

I can't wait to get back on the DVX. The new Motoworks pipe is awesome. Sounds good and I can really actually feel the difference in power.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

I'll post up a vid of it soon.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.