Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by atvman29
Hmm it sounds fuel related. Maybe something with the floats?
Funny thing was my light switch was broken (it doesnt turn) so I took it apart and looped the wires together just so I'd have a working headlight and tail-light, and couldn't help but notice that the headlight is barely lit. I didnt rev it a whole lot because it was later in the evening at the time, and my carport where I keep it turns any sound into an unbelievable megaphone. At least they know Im the loudest cat on the block. (I live on a street with MANY harley owners).

Im taking it to the shop on saturday to service it for its maiden voyage on the weekend. Im hoping that the light being dim, and a poor idle is a result of low voltage output from the magneto, and that if I giver some $%&^, it might open up some parts that haven't moved the better part of 5 years.

Of course, Im going to check everything as per the service manual as well.

At this point, its just theory.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

So what are possible solutions to a very rich idle and low speed circuit? I have the pilot screw all the way in and its still puffing smoke out the pipe like a new pope was elected.

High Speed is fine and the machine runs good otherwise. Its just at low speeds it smokes alot and it wont idle on its own.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

Float is set to high, or low-speed jet is way to big.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

Hmmm that might be it. I was having a bit of trouble getting it set right. Im sure I put it to the manuals specs, but I was considering that It might be a little out of shape and maybe catching on the bowl.

The low speed jet is the factory size.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Trailblazer

When I rebuilt the carb, I didnt have the service manual yet. I've since set the float properly as per the manual and its cured, and idles properly. Thank you for the brainstorming session!

Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys, got the cylinder head off of my engine. how do i go about getting the cam out, cause its got a timing chain and everything. Try to get to the piston it needs rings. Can somebody please help me out, first time doing this dads helping me but he needs more info

Old 08-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

well to get the cam out take the 2 10mm bolts out of the sprocket side of the cam thats how you get it out

Old 08-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

dbrev42 ....make sure that you watch for the cam alingnment half washer thing, sometimes it sticks to the cam and can easily end up somewhere in the motor

Old 08-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

anyway i have a fresh piston and rings on my 230s, i got it done about a month ago and have been riding it since, that is until last weekend. i went riding and as usual it started first kick and i was off to the races. well after it got warm the quad didnt want to idle so i would just feather the throttle to keep it running. well if it happened to die then i could kick it over and continue. well that happened a couple times then i coulndt kick it over when it was warm anymore. then it got to where it wont kick cold either......sometimes i go out and kick it it fires rright up.....run it till it gets warm and nothing just stalls like the kill switch was hit, i changed the cdi, and stator, and coil.....i checked the wiring and all that with a ohms meter and cant find anything.......anyone have this problem before?

Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

Three things are required for an engine to run. Fuel, Compression, Ignition. You've rebuilt the motor, and changed all the ignition parts. The only thing left is Fuel, by deductive reasoning.

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.