Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.

I always shop from Amazon, but can you link me one?

Old 09-17-2008, 01:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Here's the filter I got http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062YPDK

and the wrap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00062Z06Q

Kinda pricey, but considering the stock 230 KN filter is in the $40 neighborhood.... And I can always swipe the filter and use it on other projects in the future, unlike the 230 KN I have now that's just laying on the garage floor in the stock airbox. I have no clue what to do with it.

Well, I fired it up. Way lean, LOL. It backfires as soon as I open the throttle! (idles nice though). Luckily, I got the dial-a-jet. I hope it works as good as PG said it did. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I can't take another month of carb tuning.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Trailblazer

I think im gonna buy the Precharger and wrap, and prolly sell my airbox and accessories to make some of my money back since I wont be needing them. I cant wait til you take the test ride, ahah good luck with it, I want good news on that.

Edit: Also I re read the Motoman site on the porting, and it says to set the choke point to 80% for 2 valve heads, and 65% for multi valve heads, should I do the 80% or stick to the 65%? 80% seems a bit much.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I'm not sure.... What size carb are you going to use? I think there may be problems with port-matching the stock carb. The 28 and 32 are the same size all thru the carb while the stock 26 is 26mm in the middle and closer to 30 on the engine side where it meets the port. So, if you made the port 30mm, the 26mm carb may not be able to fill that size column of air.... at least not fill it fast enough to have any kind of velocity like motoman is talking about! You'd need forced induction! (The guy on YouTube with the turbo uses the stock 26mm carb btw... He said he was upgrading to the 28, but haven't heard anything since). Anyway, I can't get my head around all the variables there are with the stock carb. And I don't even have any parts to look at. My stock carb has been on my bayou for over a year.

Well, whatever size carb is used, I guess the idea behind it is to get the airspeed as high as possible at lower rpms without causing too much restriction at high rpms. So, in my case, I was thinking about how much air the 32mm carb would flow at 9 or 10k rpm and asking myself if 20 or 25mm would restrict it. Then I thought about how little air it would flow at low rpms and asked myself if 20 or 25mm was small enough to lob the air in at a high enough speed. Over the course of a few days (and playing around with a leaf-blower), I finally settled on what it shows in the pics (I know the exhaust valve won't fit thru it heightwise, but its wider... and I have that vane going down the center... plus the guide taking up room). I used some large tweezers set at 80% or so to try to gauge my progress. That was a kinda sucky way to do it though. I guess this was the artsy way of doing it and little science behind it other than generalities. Without exact numbers to work with, I have no choice but to wing-it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Another thing I thought about was the air comes out of the port sideways and sorta bounces off the valve. If you connect a leaf-blower to the intake, the flow almost goes right out the exhaust! So, the valve has its own sorta "nozzle effect". In my case, I thought 80% (25-26mm) was about right and if that's too big the valve should help accelerate the flow when its open enough. But what I have in mind is leaf-blower speeds... a high duration 250 cam, high flow exhaust, bigass air filter, and 32mm carb.... No way I could risk all that by making my port too small. So, I erred on the big side or at least what I think/hope is the big side [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] For an engine with more resistance to flow (ie restrictive exhaust and airfilter, shorter duration cam, and small carb), I'd definitely err on the small side because its not going to rev out high enough to need the air anyway. Better to get the velocity.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

hey guys long time no see man u guys have keep this post rolling u guys rock i was wanting to modify my footpegs and do away with the shift lincage, do u guys have any idea what or where to buy a shift lever that will fit directly on the splines of my shift shaft

Old 09-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer

Haha, yea that would deff make sense, so I guess im gonna have to pickup a 250 carb, but which manifold would I need? Would the stock one work?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hadaveha

hey guys long time no see man u guys have keep this post rolling u guys rock i was wanting to modify my footpegs and do away with the shift lincage, do u guys have any idea what or where to buy a shift lever that will fit directly on the splines of my shift shaft</end quote></div>

Hey buddy! Where ya been so long?

I seen some shifters here last night: http://www.prodesignracing.com/power_shifters_suz.htm

Don't know if they fit, but they look pretty. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

How's that 230 running these days?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: AsaSpades

Haha, yea that would deff make sense, so I guess im gonna have to pickup a 250 carb, but which manifold would I need? Would the stock one work?</end quote></div>

The 250 carb is the same as the 230 carb. You want either a 28mm or a 32mm mikuni aftermarket carb.

The 28mm you can get away with using the stock manifold since the 28 is only a bit smaller on the flange.

The 32mm, you'll need the lakota flange I pointed out before.

Cheapcycleparts will have the flange for the best price.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ok, the report for the day's ride is lots of bottomend, but can't get it to rev out. I started out with a 5L1 needle in the middle clip and a 250 jet. At the end of the day I ended up with the needle on the bottom clip and a big washer under that! Plus I had a 330 jet and its STILL too lean. The dial-a-jet doesn't seem to be picking up much slack so far. So, I have a bunch of homework to do figuring out what jetting to use with that big KN filter. But, I think it looks promising.... I was happy to see the bottomend wasn't gone, but quite the opposite. Wheelies are pretty easy... I just can't rev out enough to carry the wheelie too far across the yard.

Its hard to tell what's doing what. I have a new intake valve, 3 degrees extra ignition advance, and a new non-o-ring chain. All those things should make it run better, but at least I know my porting didn't slow the air down too much. It remains to be seen if my porting restricted any air (I doubt it though). Maybe I'll know more tomorrow or the next day when I get the jetting issues ironed down a little.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

man its running great, just alittle oil leak around the cover for the oil filter, man i can see u have been busy i have been working on a boat im all about starting projects its getting past the starting i have a hard time with. those shifters look great id love to get rid of this lincage

Quick Reply: 85 to 88 Suzuki LT230S Quadsport help.