Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Polaris 'Duel' thing

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 'Duel' thing

It's foolish to be restricting the ridership to CEOs. You can't overcome old age with any degree of technology. If I were a CEO in Japan, I wouldn't even dignify the challange with a response. Their products speak for themselves.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, and if you read the thread from the link 3 posts up (marked picture) it has no benefit for the other companies to even try.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

why does polaris want to set up the duel, i think it just wants to make the others look bad. Why cant polaris leave it up to the magazines to provide a huge, (like many many pages) non-biased review of all the quads, It would be sweet if they just had a huge shoot out, with the 450s (and preddy with the 450 kit) 90cc, 50cc, 200-250cc, 250-350cc, 400s, 500s, 700s, and 800s
2strokes against each other, 4 strokes against each other, and just a huge shoot out in 300ft, 600ft, 1000ft, 2000ft drags, really long and rough/demanding trails, on the track, carrying stuff, towing stuff, handling, reliabilty

such a shootout would cost a lot to perform but they will sell a TON of that issue

Old 10-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Euro = high quality???
BMW,
MB,
Porsche,
AUDI,
VW

The German cars esp are about the best in the world. Best race cars? Look at Italy. The KTM motor is no joke & Polaris (as rigged as the duel might be) Has really got the stuff together lately. I look for a 450 KTM powered Pred soon. Until Can-Am releases a Aprilla450, thats the one to buy. FWIW

Old 10-21-2006, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

JD Power and ASSOC says otherwise about German quality unfortunately. Italian cars are junk mechanically. Race cars aren't even in the same category. An engine that lasts one race at 19000 RPM is hardly something to compare to anything we ride.

Polaris quads are heavy, unattractive, and have questionable engineering features. But, obviously some people like them. I assume the same people that like Harleys, Camaros, and Corvettes. And I know Harley owners swear that their bikes are reliable.

Yeah, sure.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider

JD power is a joke. Those are owner surveys. If I bought a GM or Ford car I'd expect problems. If I bought a BMW & it had a squeak in the door I'd complain. Point is power expect crap from the big 3, therefore if the car still runs after 10K miles it's like a bonus. Its the reason Hyundai does well. What I might over look on a Hyundai that I paid 4K less for I won't overlook on a Honda. It's like the joke about when Buick was rated #1 in quality awhile back by JD power. Buicks never leave the county or goes over 35mph. Point is JD power asks people who are brand loyal at times too.

Other than an F-1 engine what Fiat,Alfa, Masaratti, Lambo, or Ferrari hits 19K? Btw, the f-1 motors race 2 races I believe.

IMHO, I'm confused why anyone would buy a Harley.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 01ds650
Euro = high quality???
BMW,
MB,
Porsche,
AUDI,
VW

The German cars esp are about the best in the world. Best race cars? Look at Italy. The KTM motor is no joke & Polaris (as rigged as the duel might be) Has really got the stuff together lately. I look for a 450 KTM powered Pred soon. Until Can-Am releases a Aprilla450, thats the one to buy. FWIW
i still doubt the predator would be a good racer even with the ktm engine, it will get a power advantage, but the preddys frame and stuff is just too heavy, if pol wants to make the preddy hardcore raceable, they need to get it down to 375 punds at least
going with ktm on the outlaw was a smart move by pol, IMHO

is apprilia really good too for power like ktm, how about reliability, it better be cuz people say the ds450 is supposed to blow away all the other 450s out now

ps: in a topic i started, about the ds450, someone said they are changing the racing classes so that 2 strokes race 4 strokes of the same cc (for example cr250r-crf250r, or yz250-yz250f, kx250-kx250f) does that even make sense cuz 2 strokes have almost double the power of 4 strokes on top end, low end its pretty fair.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:00 AM
Pro Rider

A first, I thought, yeah man, do a duel If you believe in your product, than get on it and ride! Then I found out that they are all old. I sometimes ride with a 55 yr old, I would not want him to represent Polaris. I said it before on the Polaris forum, Tiller looks like a red blooded Ameican that enjoys the outdoors! The others,....Obviously not. I guess this would be like the Japs offering a duel to all CEO's, of any product line, to see who makes the most profit in a give time. Obviously we would lose we don't make our 10 yr kids work in sweat shops!

I just wanted you all to know that, not all Polaris owners think that this is a good idea. Put ANYBODY on the quad, then I'd change my mind! I don't read the mags, I wouldn't believe them, even if they said my brand (Polaris in my case) is the best bang for the buck. Sure, that tickles my ears, but I know it isn't true.

I do believe that it is the best for what I do, which is deep mudholes. If I was into Utlity Harescrambles, I wouldn't want a heavy Polaris. If I were into LONG trail rides, I wouldnt want the Sp 800 @ 11 MPG and a 4.1 gal tank. I am, not afraid to point out the bad areas of my quad. The bad areas(heavy,slow,and price) don't bother me. It is a Utility, I want a beefy quad, I don't race it, speed is not a concern for me, and the price is because of all these quads are in the "PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER" way of thinking. Polaris is more $ up front, but the repair parts are not as much as others,part for part. The Japs make more of a margin on parts, to make up a loss of margin on initial sales!

We all have different needs in a quad! There is a guy on Polaris putting 28" tires on a Scrammy. Initially this sounds like it is not the best setup. For all I know, maybe he just wants to have some mud fun at a fraction of the cost, If this is the case, than what he is doing IS the best thing for him, he already has the quad, why buy another, he is keeping the cost down and muddin' at the same time!

Sorry to get so long winded, It just p!sses me off when bashing takes place, almost everyone thinks, if you ride something different then you are a moron! I think if you bash something different, YOU are the moron!

Old 10-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

The problem with the "don't bash other ATVs" theory is that you don't hear many Suzuki owners bashing Kawis. Or you don't hear many Yamaha owners bashing Hondas. (we're talking utility quads here, not sport. That's a different kind of ridership)

Unfortunately, there really are TRUTHS in the world, everything isn't relativism. There really is a difference in quality between ATV brands. I can't back that statement with facts, but it would be asinine to think that all brands are equal. Nothing in the world is that way.

By and large, the bashing is directed toward domestic designed brands. Why do you think that is? It's hard for anyone to admit that the quad that they bought wasn't the best one they could have gotten. Or even second best. Until there is a study on initial quality, # of warranty repairs, or # of warranty claims by brand, we won't know FOR SURE which is actually worst. But I can tell you that conventional wisdom really is something to be thought of. Honda and Toy built reputations for quality in the 70s BEFORE there were quality ratings published. How'd you think that happened? Word of mouth.

Word of mouth applies with quads as well. There are certain people who are die hard domestic buyers who put on blinders when they talk about domestic quality. And, there are the other people who consider quality before brand. These two groups will always be at odds.

Another factor to consider is resale. Ever notice how many Ford, Chevy, and Polaris products there are in the local Nickel saver? And they're usually at dramatically lowered price from new. Try finding a used Jap quad for a "good deal".