Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Hi all.Newbie with problem with sons lt80.No spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all.Newbie with problem with sons lt80.No spark

First off I would like to say that this is an awesome forum.My son has a 1992 lt80 and it will not produce spark at all. I have tried to clean and sanded the stator and checked all wireing and It will not spark whatsoever.I have an 89 lt 250r and my son likes to come ride with me but I can't get his quad running.And I dont want to leave him home..It cranks over fine and has plenty of compression but will not start.I took out the plug and tried to arc it to metal while turning over and no spark..What could cause this symptom.Does the stator produce spark or is it the ig coil that sends spark to the plug.I have been trying to get this figured out for 2 days now and am at my wits end.Would a bad stator cause this.Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks in advance....

Old 11-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

you could have a bad rectifier or ign. coil, and sometimes its just the sparkplug went bad

Old 11-12-2006, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

I would first check to see if the plug is bad and get youself a new one make sure you have the killswitch on and everything else...and try pull starting it...for the ignition there is the cdi,coil,and sparkplug wires...check to make sure everything is connected correctly...and just let us know how you make out and we can give you more advice if this doesnt work

Old 11-12-2006, 07:45 AM
Trailblazer

I tried a new plug and a different plug wire and It still did not spark.I looked at all the switches and key switch and all checked out ok.I read on here to disconnect the red\black wires under the hood and no spark.I have the machine bare to the frame and engine I took aff all the plastic and inspected the entire wire harness and all looks good exept the PO cut the rear batterey wires at one poiont and I believe that there was a reset switch in line that was removed.There are 2 red wires 1 fat 1 skinny that are to the pos side of battery and the black wire runs to neg on battery.If I turn on the switch to on turn the key to on engage the brake switck the engine will turn over properly .Yesterday I pulled the entire stator out and it was corroded a bit but I cleaned the terminals and sanded the flywheel and reassembled it and still no spark.The quad was running great then was parked for a couple months and since then has lost spark completey.I will keep trying today.??Thanks for the replys and help..

Old 11-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

I would try giving her a pull start jsut to see if that makes a difference from using the battery and make sure the battery has enough volts to be able to start it...it sounds like there is a ground wire is off or another killswitch or something...if you have a multimeter I would use it to find the resistance of the different parts ad find out what isn't working correctly

Old 11-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

Unfortunately there is no pull start.I went over the whole wire system again and did try a different battery and still no luck.All my switches are good and all the grounds are in place.What would make it lose spark It ran fine then sat for a while and now has completely lost all spark.I tried a different plug different plug wire cleaned all connections and nothing seems to help it spark.Does the stator create the spark on these engine or would a bad coil or cdi all go at once.??Which part is solely reponcible of producing the spark to make the engine run??????

Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

CDI or stator.
Disconnect the red/black wire...that's funny. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That is the ignition side of the stator and where you will check the ohms of the stator.
There is no re-set on a 1992 model.
I think the stator resistance was/should be~ 175-180 +/-

Old 11-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

I believe my friends 80 has a pullstart thats why I mentioned it but his is newer ... has anyone messed with the quad since its sitting thats odd that it would go like you said but the smallest thing like dirt or something in a connection could cause it to not send the signal...are the fuses ok lt80 knows alot about them so if I can't help I am sure he knows something I don't about the quad and 175 180 sounds about right for resistance