Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

z400 carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default z400 carb issues

okay guys my 03 z400 is jetted, has an intake (open airbox) and a full yosh pipe and when i let the bike sit for a few weeks 2-4 it doesnt start up and it doesnt idle right and smells really different sometime it doesnt even run with the choke off and when i turn the choke off it doesnt lower the idle. So ive been cleaning the carb and all the jets when i have this problem and it runs good. I was told that its the ethanol in the gas and i should run a mix of race gas with the 93 when i plan on storing the bike and that should stop the problem from the gas clogging the jets. WHat do you guys think it could be and what should i do when i plan on storing the bike?

Also i wanna change the plug but cant find an easy way to take it out, How should i go about taking the plug out?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default z400 carb issues

I read an article on line about how ethanol fuel is screwing up smaller engines, because it attracts moisture. May want to add a fuel stabilizer if the quad's gonna sit for a long period of time? I like to start mine and let it run at least once a week, even if I don't ride it.
As far as the plug, I just pull the plug wire, clean out the inside, drop the socket in, extention, then the ratchet. In order for the plug to come out, take the ratchet off.

Old 09-26-2008, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default z400 carb issues

Whats your jetting and whats your elevation. My Z was hard to start running a 144 main open lid full yosh pipe. 160mj starts it up right away. Also, I just use regular gas...

Old 09-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default z400 carb issues

it had stabilizer in it when it used to sit and i used to start it weekly and ride it around my property every other week or so. I had to move it up to my dads work into a shipping container due to my step family moving in and us needing more garage space. his work is about 10 minutes away so it doesnt take a while to go over and start it but its just so out of the way due to me working 45-50hrs a week and going to school.

I was told when i bought the bike to run a 2/3 mix of vp blue(race fuel)/93 octane gasoline and i did for a while until the race fuel became harder to get and also double in price. Im gonna pick up a few gallons of c16 the next time i take my sti to the drag strip and see how that works out unless you guys think ill have better luck draining the system.

If i completely drain the fuel system i shouldnt have a problem should i? whats your opinion about this?

Old 09-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default z400 carb issues

Ethanol has more water in it then gas which is why flex fuel vehicles have plastic and aluminum or stainless fuel delivery systems..... but the amount in the mixed gas should not be enough to cause damage since there are no chrome plated fuel rails in an ATV, which is what breaks down due to the water in ethanol....

The mixed gas does not have enough water to cause problems.... the problems are caused if you store the machine with a low gas level in the tank. The temperature chances cause condensation in the tank and the water will run to the bottom. The more space for the condensation to build the more water at the end of the storage time. A full tank will stop a lot of this issue, but to be safe some stabilizer will work too.....

2-4 weeks storage is not really enough to cause a problem...my guess is that there is something breaking down in the system..... I've seen several people have problems with the petcock valve breaking down and little rubber pieces getting caught in the jets so make sure the entire fuel system is clean and in good shape...

Old 10-02-2008, 10:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default z400 carb issues

alright i drained the gas the last time i rode the bike last sat. im picking up a spark plug a few oil filters, some oil and a rear taillight tomorrow from a local dealer. do u think it will be okay to sit for some time without any fuel in it? i mean if its completely empty how is any of the gas gonna gunk up in the carb?

Old 10-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Trailblazer
Default z400 carb issues

i have heard of this problem in a few bikes, raptors, 400 ex, z400, and trx 450s. what i was told to do is after riding turn off the gas and run it dry this way no ethanol is sitting in the carb or tubes. it helped me out alot. try that , hope it helps

Old 10-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default z400 carb issues

z's dont have an on/off fuel. its reserve, prime, on. its got some wired way of vacuum sucking fuel through the lines so you dont need to turn it off. does anyone know the real reasoning behind this? im headed over to a dealer tomorrow and ill ask if no body posts in time