Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Suzuki LT 80

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:31 PM
HCW
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT 80

Been off this forum for awhile and used to post about my 1999 LT 80 that won't start. Had this thing for almost a year, and have had it in the shop for 90% of the time I've owned it. Here is my story....engine became difficult to start. It ran great, but we had to crank the starter for 30 seconds before the engine started. Had a professional tune up and carb rebuild. Installed an inline petcock because the OEM was leaking. Quad still would not start. Took it to a shop for another tuneup and disconnect the oil injection. Still won't start. Took it back to the shop and compression test showed I needed a rebuild. Had the quad rebuilt, but it still take 30 second of cranking to get it to start. Took it back to the shop for another tune up and asked them to sell it. Got tired of dealing with this an bought 3 new quads. After 3 months I brought the quad home and attempted to sell on my own. Needed to replace the battery. Started right up, but stalled on the first ride. Would not start, period. After towing it home, took it back to the shop where it sits now. The shop owner is well respected, I trust him, but we cannot figure out the problem. He thinks it is all in the inline petcock, I'm not convinced. I'm not interested in spending another dime on this thing. It gets spark, air and fuel. I have to crank it for 20 to 30 seconds and MAYBE it will start. If I get it started and it stalls, it might not start again. So after a carb rebuild, 2 tuneups, an engine rebuild where do I look for a solution.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Suzuki LT 80

Oh goody...A challenge.......... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I'll reply in the morning.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:54 AM
HCW
Weekend Warrior
Default Suzuki LT 80

thanks, I was hoping you would !

Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default Suzuki LT 80

From reading your post, it does "seem" to be a fuel issue (leaking by the float).
Let's start with the petcock. I'll presume the in line petcock you mentioned is a on/off valve. If not go get one (4 bucks) and leave the stock petcock on prime. I'll presume the fuel flows fine on prime.
After running the machine, drain the carb and see if that helps on the next start up.
Carbs do go bad. The lil passages get crud in em. Some soak, some boil the carbs. Some still don't work and a new carb is in order. A carb kit don't mean that it's perfect.
I didn't see where the reed was checked. The stock reeds crack.
Is it sucking air from the main seals? They are like 4 bucks each.
Is the stator putting out enough juice? I've had to pull the stator and sand/clean many times. This is a good time to put a main seal in it.
A ohm reading on the stator and cdi could show something. Your dealer can tell you the correct resistance (ohms). They should have done this.
How about that stupid stock spark plug cap. They suck and can cause trouble. Duct tape it down.
Is the pipe plugged?
Next time you try to start it and it cranks alot, pry the tube off the front of the carb and use 2 fingers to hand choke it. See if that helps.
When you went to pre-mix, did they remove the lil plastic piece that drives the pump on the end of the crankshaft and plug the hose/holes?
Let's go from there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM
HCW
Weekend Warrior
Default Suzuki LT 80

Just picked up the LT80 from the shop....another story. Owner stated the original petcock is bad, and that fuel is also leaking by the $4 in line shut off valve I had installed. Owner stated that over time, gravity forces fuel by the on off valve and floods the engine. One the carb fills, fuel flows into the crankcase. He said that he pulled the spark plug, turned the bike over and gas came out. After putting the sparkplug back in he said it starts right up....sort of. It does not start instantly, it takes some cranking but does start.

My first thought is to buy another on off valve, maybe the one I had was bad. it is made completely out of plastic. After installing a new on off, I am going to disconnect the fuel line from the carb, and see how the fuel flows. How can I tell if too much flow is the problem, what drip rate should I expect?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:49 PM
HCW
Weekend Warrior
Default Suzuki LT 80

Just look at the OER petcock, and something looks funny. The silver ring around the level arm to me looks like it is on upside down, As it is attached now, Fuel is written on the bottom of the ring, and is written upside down. RES is on the right side, Prime is on the left, that is with Fuel written on the bottom upside down.

If this correct, or not, which way should the fuel lever be pointing, straight up and down or sideways?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default Suzuki LT 80

On is down. Prime is pointing toward the front.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Suzuki LT 80

lt80 I am in need of some help sir. I sent you a PM with a contact number. Long time no here brother....

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default Suzuki LT 80

Did I call Ernie?? I'm having a blond moment...I think... LOL

Old 02-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Suzuki LT 80

Do you still have the same phone number sir?

Quick Reply: Suzuki LT 80