Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Twist throtle

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist throtle

Go ahead and give it a try. I have one on my raptor and would not ride without it. Had a buddy try one and he just could not get used to it. To each their own.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Twist throtle

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: extremelawncare

like i said each to there own.. some people are just full of crap & yes i have a 13 yr old that can out ride most adults . some people are very close minded idiots that doesnt know his head from his ***. try it you my like it , , not a disaster at all , got to know how to ride .. ...</end quote></div>

Are you refering to me dude?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Range Rover
Default Twist throtle

they suck about killd my self on a raptor with one lol

Old 01-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twist throtle

If you ride the dunes, or even MX and are wide open all the time..... yes a twisty works for some people ....... but there is a reason ATVs have thumb throttles in the first place. Just think about it for one second.....

When you steer a bike, the bike leans over, which keep the body and throttle on the same axis....... no problems....

When you steer an ATV, the body leans, the machine does not, so the body and the throttle on are on a different axis. You are pulling or pushing on the throttle as you hang on the bars to steer and lean. This becomes very touchy in tight woods, or trails where you are neither wide open, or closed off. If the throttle in in the middle your body position makes for an awkward hold of the throttle and keeping it in the middle position is almost impossible.

It also makes a difference because a 400-plus pound machine bucking over whoops or off-cambers puts more pressure on your hands, and makes holding a throttle in a set position very tough. On two-stroke machines like a Banshee this might not be noticed because the torque of the engine is less and not as sensitive. It is either wide open or off. There is a reason almost every top pro racer has switched over to twisty on the new 4-strokes, and that is because the throttles are so closely linked to the output. And any subtle change can make a difference.

I've been riding a long time, and I've seen a lot of accidents with ATVs and twist throttles. Many from people who said "I've been riding dirt bikes all my life, I can handle it" or "my thumb was hurting too much so I switched" etc...etc...etc...et.....

I'm sure there are a handful of talented folks out there that are able to do it no problem, and there are some who are not. But in my experience the only ones that make it work do most of their riding in the sand dunes or in big open trails in the desert.

As far as your thumb being sore.....well just ride more, or work out your thumb. Mine used to hurt too, but once you ride enough just like any other muscle in your body the ones around your hand and thumb will get so strong a days worth of pushing the throttle will not even phase you.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Twist throtle

Thanks for the info,its been helpful.I have been riding dirtbikes for a long time,but i am not one of those guys that thinks that gives me experiance on a quad.My thumb does get sore but that is because i broke it realy bad in a demalition derby and it has arthrites in it.It is somthing i will have to realy think about.Thanks again!!