Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LTR450 Break in Period

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009 | 01:54 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default LTR450 Break in Period

So just got my LTR yesterday morning and working on the break-in period. Have about 2 hours on it tops.

I know the dealer put some lower octane gas in it just to start it to cycle the oil and move it to the loading area. I've since filled it with Sunoco 94 (i'm not sure how much of the lower octane they put in it) and when I stop to let it idle if I put my ear close to the engine there is a slight knocking sound.

Is this normal as the engine mates and gets seated in, or is it probably just some of the lower octane fuel that got mixed in with the 94 and hasn't burnt completely off?

I haven't been "babying" it, I ride it for no less than 20 mins every time I start it, I progress through 4th gear frequently, winding each out to about half throttle or so, but no further. Gun first or second a little over a couple small natural mounds to work the suspension a little. Seems to sound and run amazingly as I'm riding it, no missing, stuttering, or popping on downshift decel.

Just curious about that slight knock. It is faint, only noticeable when I put my ear somewhat close to the engine itself, but noticeable nonetheless.

Anyone have one and can comment? Thanks

Old 05-29-2009 | 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
From: New York City (i wish california good riding spots)

what ever u do , dont go full speed until you've ridden it for about 5 hours.

it's probably not the low octane. the new motor is probably what it is. don't go full speed lol and dont rev it really hard

Old 05-29-2009 | 02:23 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I haven't been rippin it up, been takin it easy but still progressing through gears and downshifting / decel'ing to get the engine seated. Haven't gone over half throttle but maybe once or twice on a 1st-2nd mis-shift

I think its just how the engine sounds to be quite honest, just wanted to throw it out there to see what people say. I'm by no means a mechanical guru of any sort, hence my question. I'm just trying to reap the benefits of those who are

Old 05-29-2009 | 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

there is a very big debate between two major break-in procedures; take it easy like the manufacturer says, or ride it like you stole it.

believe it or not, im actually a fan of the "romp on it" method for a few reasons outlined here:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

Old 05-30-2009 | 08:43 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Very interesting article. I'll have to take that into consideration... My engine only has a total of about 1.5 hours of running time on it total so far... It's been killing me not to be able to get into the power completely. I'll have to look into this a little more, everything he says makes sense really... Can anyone object?

Old 05-30-2009 | 09:06 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well after reading your link and browsing the internet for others opinions it does seem like the "ride it like you stole it" method is by far the most popular, and proven to be better for the quad in the long run. I've got 2 hours on my quad breaking it in like the manual has said more or less, time to open it up? And how many hours would you recommend before changing the oil? Most say "after first ride".

Old 05-31-2009 | 11:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Take it out and ride it like you want.

Modern molly rings set in REAL quickly. One set of hot laps on our race car and they are set and we find no more compression.

It's not a bad idea to change your oil after the first ride. I don't think it's real necessary but not a bad idea none the less.

Old 06-01-2009 | 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i like to change the oil after the 1st ride on a new motor, then after that just go with the regular intervals. the thought of all that metal from the rings, cylinder, gears, and bearings getting seated in, floating around my engine concerns me a little haha.