Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Newbie LT80 questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Location: Ambridge, PA (about 25 miles north of Pittsburgh, PA)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie LT80 questions.

Hello All. I just got done introducing myself in the introduction forum now I have a few questions that maybe you intelligent LT80 guys can help me with..
First alittle about the 1995 LT80 quad I bought. I bought it for $400 bucks knowing the guy couldn't get it started (It wouldn't crank over), tires were worn, and front plastic was cracked. It was sitting since probably April 2010. He said it ran when he "winterized" it. (yeah right). It looked like it has been rode hard by his kids. He bent the back bar down so they could pull kids around on sleds.(dumb).
Anyways, I took a chance on it. I got it home and found the starter lead connector (under the tank) was burnt up. So I cut it off and crimped on a connector. I jumped the starter from the battery, it was turning but slowly. Also, starter relay was bad. I replaced it with a 50 amp relay from Auto zone. Still wouldn't start. Was thinking starter bad again but decided to buy a pull starter. $69.99 on Ebay+ $10.40 shipping. (was gonna buy it anyways for backup). Hard to pull so I took out plug and pulled. That made it alot easier. I put a new plug back in then pulled about 20 times with throttle wide open and It finally started. I Shut it down after about 15 minutes and restarted with no problems with the electric start.
Maybe it was some kind of fuel or vapor lock??
So I see fuel oil blowing out the pipe and I removed drain plug. About a cup of fuel oil came out. kept running it for about 20 minutes and it seems to just "spit" now. But Now i have heavy white smoke when throttling up. Not bad at idle after it warms up. (It is 20 degrees here). So I did a compresion check and found that it has 90psi. Thats low from what I read in here. But seems to idle and ride OK. I took it down the street. Seems that power is good.
I changed the crankcase oil with 10-40 till it came out the weep hole BUT I still didn't clean the carb, change the air filter, or check the top end (BAD RINGS??) Truthfully, I would like to have someone who really knows what they are doing cause SAFETY for my kids is top priority. Maybe a dealer (they'll financially rape me though. $85/hr LOL)
Also, it only has one front brake cable for the right wheel. I gotta get one. How do you adjust the speed limiter? Theres isn't a screw at the throttle to do so.

Am I on the right track on fixing this thing?

I will probably have about $1000 into this by the time it gets running properly with new tires BUT I didn't want to end up with a chinese piece of junk. Probably too much $$$ but Im learning also. After I get it done at least I know what REALLY has been done to it.

Sorry bout the long post but I wanted to give you as much info as possible.
Any Suggestions or Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also, The dealer here has a website with exploded view drawings and parts lists for a huge list of quads and bikes. Im Not sure if Im allowed to post their site in here but if Im allowed just let me know.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure our resident LT80 expert, Jack (LT80 on the forums) will help you out, I can fill in some in the meantime. Yes,90 psi is low, and will make it hard to start,so you are probably looking at a bore/piston. With all the oil you got out of the pipe, it is probably really soaked in there, if you have the place to do it, build a big fire and set the pipe in there to burn out the old oil that is caked up in there, that may take care of a lot of your smoking, but bad rings will also make a bit of smoke.Brake cables are not that expensive,either from Dennis Kirk, or even the dealer, the throttle limiter screw is a metric with a jam nut to lock it in place, the previous owner probably took it off when his kids outgrew the need for a limit, take the throttle assembly into a hardware store and get a metric machine screw and nut long enough to turn in to limit the movement of the throttle . Just the basics, but im sure LT80 will be here soon to give you the rest of the info you need. If you have the time to send him the motor, he will work his magic on it and the clutch, and give you a motor that will put the factory one to shame.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks 95wolv. I appreciate the advice. I have read about putting the pipe in a fire and burning out the oil. I was thinking about just getting the motor completely done and LT80 is the man to do it, BUT, $$$ is a big factor right after the holidays with my 4 kids. Maybe he will get a chance to chime in and see what we will be looking at to do it. I don't need it modded. I want to keep it fairly stock cause I have twins that will grow into it. That way I know it is top notch and will last quite a while.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The good news is, I'm a quick trip up I-79.
I'm up by the Ohio line and lake Erie.
I think we can get this up and running for less than you think.
Please call or email.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I just made the trip to see LT80 (Jack). 116 miles or 2 1/2 hours each way. Small price to pay for his expertise on these little quads. He has my kids LT80 now and will check it over from top to bottom. It is in good hands now and I'm sure it will be way better than stock, and with the peace of mind that I will have knowing it was checked over by him- is priceless. My kids are really excited to get it back knowing that I will finally let them ride it. LOL

Again, Thanks LT80!

Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

Good Luck with Jack, I had to have all his work re-done. Not bashing just a fact.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

WOW! Thats the first time I read anything negative about Jack! All I read is all of the good things he can do. He does work for people all over the place. Everyone is referred to Jack in here and other sites. I've seen Jack Moore's work on the internet with no one that is unsatisfied with his work.

What happened in your situation, what did he work on, and how long ago was it?

Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

There are a few others , they have contacted me also, just don't want to rock the boat on the site, but then again I believe in if something isn't right, let it out!
Call Midwest minis they can share some of there experience also.

Again I might of been the 5 mins to 5:00 build for him that day.