Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1988 lt230s clutch adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 lt230s clutch adjustment?

Hey there, I need some help with the clutch on my lt230s. The clutch slips every once in a while, and I heard I have to tighten it. I know that I should tighten it down by the engine, and i need to remove some slack. But I'm not sure how to do it. There are two nuts keeping the clutch in place, but which one do I unscrew to be able to tighten it? Reply as soon as possible, thanks!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ESHBOK88LT230S
Hey there, I need some help with the clutch on my lt230s. The clutch slips every once in a while, and I heard I have to tighten it. I know that I should tighten it down by the engine, and i need to remove some slack. But I'm not sure how to do it. There are two nuts keeping the clutch in place, but which one do I unscrew to be able to tighten it? Reply as soon as possible, thanks!
you want a little slack to be sure that the pressure plate is fully engaged and isnt just skimming across the friction plates. start by adjusting up by the clutch lever, turn the adjustment in til its about half way in. this should create alot of slack. then on the side of the clutch cover; loosen the front 12mm nut toward the front tire and loosen the back nut away from the bracket. this should allow you to pull the cable hosing forward and remove most of the slack, then you adjust it up by the clutch lever to finalize it.

if it still slips go to this link to find the clutch pack that you need.

Specs / Info - Suzuki LT230S Vault

its pretty easy to follow. it took me days to gather up the info on clutch packs. BE SURE TO WRITE DOWN YOUR ENGINE NUMBER, it is critical to have the right clutch pack. I recommend Vesrah clutches. easy to find on ebay and lots cheaper than an atv shop. if you need help finding the right clutch pack pm me you engine number and i will email you the parts numbers and which ebay seller has it. you'll need new springs and friction plates. the steel drive plates almost never wear out.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trailrider230s
you want a little slack to be sure that the pressure plate is fully engaged and isnt just skimming across the friction plates. start by adjusting up by the clutch lever, turn the adjustment in til its about half way in. this should create alot of slack. then on the side of the clutch cover; loosen the front 12mm nut toward the front tire and loosen the back nut away from the bracket. this should allow you to pull the cable hosing forward and remove most of the slack, then you adjust it up by the clutch lever to finalize it.

if it still slips go to this link to find the clutch pack that you need.

Specs / Info - Suzuki LT230S Vault

its pretty easy to follow. it took me days to gather up the info on clutch packs. BE SURE TO WRITE DOWN YOUR ENGINE NUMBER, it is critical to have the right clutch pack. I recommend Vesrah clutches. easy to find on ebay and lots cheaper than an atv shop. if you need help finding the right clutch pack pm me your engine number and i will email you the parts numbers and which ebay seller has it. you'll need new springs and friction plates. the steel drive plates almost never wear out.
oh and i forgot to mention. if you open the clutch cover be easy and try not to rip the gasket. and check the color of the steel drive plates, if they are a yellow or any other color than steel you may want to replace them also.

and check out the big 230 help thread. i just posted a huge info pack onoil choice. aoutmotive vs wet clutch motor cycle/ atv oil. i did alittle experiment last June when i started building 230 engines.