Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

05 400 eiger is driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 400 eiger is driving me crazy

We went riding a while back and after we got everything unloaded and ready to ride my buddy's eiger would only go up to about 3/8 or so throttle and it acted like it hit a rev limiter. Same thing in high, low, and reverse. It revs pretty good in neutral but won't rev all the way out up top and acts kind of the same way. I've been scouring the internet as well as this site and have tried a different voltage reg, cleaned the carb atleast a half dozen times and it's been spotless every time. I've pulled all the hoses on the carb and they're all clear and not pinched off. I pulled the airbox and watched the back of the carb so I could see the slide and it moves freely. I've put a different battery in it just for shiggles. The only thing I can come up with now is the cdi, and I know a guy that has a z400 one year older I could probably try but I don't know yet if it will plug in. It shows a different number in the microfiche but so does the VR and it worked both ways. Does anyone have ANY ideas on what it could be? At this point I will entertain any and all ideas that anyone can come up with.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Could this be a valve adjustment problem?

Old 12-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

I suppose it could be. But it doesn't seem to be a power problem. When I pin the throttle from idle it jumps good like it's supposed to it just gets to about 7 or 8 mph and falls on it's face. I can get it to feather up to about 15 mph.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Also, sometimes the exhaust gets plugged.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

well as much of a pita that was to pull off and check all that's clear. I do have another buddy with a z400 and the cdi has the same plug and amount of wires and I swapped it with his and his bike wouldn't even start with this cdi on it. I'm sure they have somewhat of a different spark advance between them, but even with the plug pulled and grounded there wasn't even the slightest spark from the plug with the eiger cdi on it. We plugged the one back in on the z400 and it started right up. So, my question is now, is there that much of a difference between the way the two are wired that the eiger's cdi could still be good and just not mapped properly through the z400 that it could be good and wouldn't work on it at all?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Did it run good before the haul?

Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

It seemed to be fine, but it was only started and ridden up to and on the trailer. And the day before it was running fine because his kids were riding it around his yard. I've done everything everyone I know has suggested, and everything I could find online that was even slightly related and I just can't figure it out. It takes off like it wants to really wants to go, and then just falls flat and misses, pops, and sputters like a rev limiter kicked in. If I just hold the throttle passed 1/2 way it only gets to about 10mph but I can kinda feather it up to about 15.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this sounds odd to you have you put an new spark plug in it yet? An spark plug is an timing part also...Be an cheap investment....Try this an get back with us here,,Good Luck

Old 12-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

As a matter of fact, no... I pulled it to check spark and it has blue spark while I hit the starter button. I really haven't considered that but I will try that in the next couple days, depending on the weather. It was kinda black but I just chocked that up to trying something and then riding it. I may have fixed it along the way and can't tell because of that I'll report back with what I find out.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer

Throttle limiting screw wound too far in?

Quick Reply: 05 400 eiger is driving me crazy