Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT 80 cranks hard then once running runs fine

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to two fingers over the carburetor to choke it did nothing Also when I took the boot off from the air cleaner to the carburetor fuel spilled on my hand I don't know if this is normal or not

Old 09-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mditaz
I tried to two fingers over the carburetor to choke it did nothing Also when I took the boot off from the air cleaner to the carburetor fuel spilled on my hand I don't know if this is normal or not
Definitely not normal, and not good. It sounds like the needle valve (controlled by the float) is not closing all the way. This is usually due to a worn needle or some crud on the needle and/or seat. It may also be caused by a poorly adjusted (bent) float. I'd say the carb needs to come back off and back apart.

Russ

Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

When I take the carburetor off can I disconnect the oil line or will I Lose the prime for the injection oil If I can take it off how do I remove it and then how do I reprime The pump This would make it a lot easier to clean on the bench rather than on my hands and knees on the ground

Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Also what should I be looking for

Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know anything about the oil, I've only worked on 4 strokes.

Do a search and read up on how a small engine carb works, that will give you an idea. You pretty much want to make sure that all of the openings are open, and this usually includes holes from pin point size on up.

Russ

Old 09-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Another thing to look at, It seems that that lil o-ring under the main jet are swelling up and blocking the passage. I've had to remove that o-ring.
I think it's the ethanol doing it.

Remove and replace or just remove The O-ring under the main jet I also noticed when I took the fuel lines off that the fuel was Pouring out even when The petcock is ON not prime I don't believe it is supposed to Could that be my problem

Old 09-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

IMO, it is. Fuel is flooding the motor.
Bad petcock, hydraulic pressure, whatever it is..
Simple fix, get a inline shut off and install it close as possible to the carb.
When finished riding, shut the fuel off and let it idle for a minute to drain the carb.
"I think" it's ethanol related but regardless of the problem, the on/off valve (advance auto lawn mower section/etc) is the quick cheap cure.

The float needle and seat need to be looked at. Some years LT80 has a metal tab on the float to bend, most are all plastic.
Look thru the main jet while it's in the carb and check on that o-ring. Any restriction from that o-ring and pry it out.

Oil hose:: There is a lil metal piece holding it on at the carb or pump. Pry that up and pull the hose off. No need to prime the line. A lil 2 stroke oil in the gas tank won't hurt.

Once ready to try (plug has been pulled and fuel blown out the plug hole and the machine left to dry out) turn petcock to prime, in a few seconds apply full throttle (no choke) and spin till it starts and cleans out.

We'll go from there.