Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Help with older ATV

Old 02-15-2016, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with older ATV

Hey everyone, my name is George from Maine. I have a 1983 Suzuki lt125 4-wheeler (I believe Lt, not sure) well I have had this bike since junior high. It has been a great little machine. Well sometime while in high school it lost 2nd gear. At the time I wanted to get it fixed and the shop said it would be easier and probably cost less to find another motor to drop in vs splitting the block etc. to repair it. Well I am now 33, bike is still going well, (probably could use a top end also) but my nephew, kids etc are at the age where they are running it some, and my dad uses it to haul a cart etc. around the house. It is a great little bike but really needs 2nd gear, jumping from 1st to 3rd is just to much for this little bike.

So as you probably figured out how am I going to get this lite bike repaired? What would be the best/easiest route? Is it doable to tear apart and fix up the tranny? Or a major pain in the butt? I am mechanically inclined but never done anything like this before in a tranny. Like I say the bike runs fine, everything works except 2nd gear.

Any help, thoughts, parts out there to rebuild this motor.

Thanks all in advance!

George

Old 02-15-2016, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

Its a job, engine must be pulled, cases split.....and while your there, might as well at least re-ring it, or maybe a new top end. Many hours of work, however, you might find a "Mom and Pop" shop that would do it for you for a reasonable price. Or buy a manual, and have you a fun project..... it seems to have some sentimental value....probably would to me as well. Parts, you need to know the specific year. Looks like alot of parts are available......see below.
1983 Suzuki LT125 TRANS MISSION (MODEL D) | CarolinaCycle

Old 02-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Damn. That sucks. I think I am capable but I would gladly pay some a reasonable price to do it for me.

Would love to just have someone around to help me do it.

Like to find a used engine I could just put in it.

Thanks
I will look for parts.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I have done quite a few gearbox rebuilds as I was working on Quads when the Honda 500 manual came out, every one made before 2007 had to have a gearbox rebuild within 2 years. I have done a few Eiger/400KQ gearboxes and they are tricky, the low/high/reverse case comes off with a shower of parts and washers, and you have to work out where they came from. Also Suzuki oilways in the gearbox trap the unwary, as the gears that spin on the shafts are on bushes with oilways that must line up with those in the shaft. On Hondas, similar bushes don't have to line up. I had a gear seize on a fairly new Eiger, and think someone had fitted a bush wrong at the factory. I haven't done a 125 but expect similar gearbox internals.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well that doesn't leave me feeling to well on doing the job my self

The ol bike probably gonna have to keep running with out second gear.

Unless I am lucky enough to find a reasonable priced engine to drop in it.