Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT80 - Problems starting, and then stalling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 - Problems starting, and then stalling.

I've only had this a few days. It's a 2005 model LT80.

Today, we started having problems starting it. It would just crank and crank, but still not turn over when the fuel switch was in the on position. I switched to Prime and that seemed to get it started, and then I would switch the fuel switch to normal and off we went. The throttle responded normally, but when slowing down to almost a stop, it would die, and then we had problems starting.

I did look at the spark plug and it's pretty black. I cleaned it off and put it back in and it seemed to work a bit better. Just wondering if any other LT80 owners out there have run into this issue, and know typically what the cause of it is?

I'm thinking of for sure getting a new spark plug, because I have no idea how old this one is. Anything else?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be a couple things...hard starting is not uncommon on these (lean condition on cold engine)...I'd replace the plug, but I'd also give the carb a good cleaning. You may want to replace the vacuum operated petcock with a regular gravity fed unit just to make sure fuel is always flowing to the carb.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
Could be a couple things...hard starting is not uncommon on these (lean condition on cold engine)...I'd replace the plug, but I'd also give the carb a good cleaning. You may want to replace the vacuum operated petcock with a regular gravity fed unit just to make sure fuel is always flowing to the carb.
Thanks for the info! A couple of follow ups.

1. Regarding fuel, that fuel switch, should it be that stiff to operate? I'm a grown man and I really had to work to get that to move. My 9 year old son, no way could move it.

2. Cleaning the carb - I assume that is an involved project. Do you have to tear apart the fairings etc, or can you remove it from the side access?

3. Gravity fed petcock - something like this? PETCOCK FUEL GAS VALVE SUZUKI LT 80 QUADSPORT UNIVERSAL ON OFF RES **** VALVE | eBay

Thanks for any followup answers. I'm a noob ATV owner.

Edit: BTW, this is what the current NGK plug looked like when I pulled it yesterday. Note: This is not my actual plug.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) Replace it...should move freely
2) Not that bad - the LT80 carb is easy to access & remove (once off I/we can walk you through a decent cleaning procedure)
3) That one will work fine

Plug - actually, that's not too bad a color...if dry and dark brown you are running a tad rich, but that's ok...ideal would be a cardboard brown color...

Noob - not for long

Old 04-20-2017, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101
1) Replace it...should move freely
2) Not that bad - the LT80 carb is easy to access & remove (once off I/we can walk you through a decent cleaning procedure)
3) That one will work fine

Plug - actually, that's not too bad a color...if dry and dark brown you are running a tad rich, but that's ok...ideal would be a cardboard brown color...

Noob - not for long
Thanks all around. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but I'm 6'2" tall and I got on this thing and it hauled me around with zero issues the first time I rode it. LOL

Old 04-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Trailblazer

Update:

Replaced the spark plug. Starting problem instantly resolved. However, the running and then stalling, still an issue.

On the airbox, I took off the little tube on the right side and it was full of dirt, grass, and all other kinds of crap. I cleared it out, and that made a moderate difference, but still having issues.

I then referred to the owners manual and thought, maybe the air filter is dirty. That would be a gross understatement. When I removed the air filter element, it literally disintegrated in my hands. I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing.

My only concern now is, I wonder how much crap is in the carburetor? Is there a guide on how to remove it on this forum? I figure, I have all this other stuff off, might as well clean everything. I'm even looking at removing the exhaust tube to see if it's full of crap. Thoughts?

Old 04-21-2017, 07:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I think a new petcock should fix the stall issue. It seems like once put in the run position the vac isn't keeping the fuel flowing thus it stalls. I still install a cheapo on/off valve close to the carburator (auto parts store lawn mower section). This allows for the fuel to be shut off and the machine run till the carb is empty. This helps the common flooding issues of todays ethanol fuel.
Sure, might as well heat the pipe up and blow it out. Won't hurt.
Carb: Once off, remove the float bowl. You'll then see a black rubber thing that connects the jet area to the bowl. Throw that away. Then remove both jets and clean/soak/blow it all out. Make sure the jets are not clogged. Install. It helps to hold the o-ring in place with a lil grease.
Let us know how you make out.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LT80
Sure, might as well heat the pipe up and blow it out. Won't hurt.
When you say heat it up, what exactly are you meaning procedure wise?

Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You can use a big torch/fire/charcoal/etc to heat it up red and blow compressed air thru. CAREFUL it'll throw flames.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by LT80
You can use a big torch/fire/charcoal/etc to heat it up red and blow compressed air thru. CAREFUL it'll throw flames.
OK, so remove the entire exhaust and do this. I don't have a torch. Is this now an excuse to get myself one? LOL