Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

03 Ltz 400 will not electric start or push start please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Ltz 400 will not electric start or push start please help

the atv worked last time I rode it but I let sit for 2 months without starting now I'm only getting a clicking noise . I tried to push start it while going down a hill and It seemed like the engine didn't even try to turn over . There is clicking coming from the solenoid and from the starter down by the engine . I replaced the spark plug and tried to get a spark but I couldn't get a spark with it in the plug and touching the spark plug to the motor while pressing the start button . Can someone please point me in the right direction ?

Old 05-30-2017, 02:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

"now I'm only getting a clicking noise . I tried to push start it while going down a hill and It seemed like the engine didn't even try to turn over"

"I couldn't get a spark with it in the plug and touching the spark plug to the motor while pressing the start button"

The above statements contradict one another as, if it won't turn over, how come you could check for a spark? If it just won't turn over with the plug in, you have a flat battery, or a bad connection. If it won't turn over at all, sounds like it is seized.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry merryman I don't know much about atvs I've just been watching videos , but from what I've saw I thought I understood that if I take the plug out the motor but leave it in the boot I can can ground it to the motor and check for a spark . When I did that I didn't get a spark so I assumed I mustn't have one or I did it wrong . And about the clicking noise ; when I turn the key and push the start button all I hear is a click coming from the solenoid by the battery and a component by the motor . I had my uncle jump on the quad and I pushed him down a hill and he hit it into gear and it did nothing . He said that if I had a bad battery or bad starter that if we push started it that it would come on anyways but it didn't .

Old 05-31-2017, 02:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

"from what I've saw I thought I understood that if I take the plug out the motor but leave it in the boot I can can ground it to the motor and check for a spark . When I did that I didn't get a spark"

You are still contradicting yourself. If the solenoid just clicks when you press the start button, and the engine doesn't turn over, how can you check for a spark? As the engine needs to be spinning over to check for one.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dude what's your problem . I just told u I don't know quads so I don't even know if I did it right that's why I'm asking for help and all your doing is telling me that I'm not making any sense and not actually giving me any advice . All of this doesn't make any sense to me BECAUSE I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT QUADS so you're just waisting both our time repeating what I say to u instead of telling me how to actually check for a spark .

Old 05-31-2017, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't check for spark unless the engine is turning over. The just clicking is from a low battery. Try jumping it with a good battery, if it still just clicks then go straight to the starter with 12 volts.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thank you dazeys I didn't not know that . I will try what you said and get back to you . Greatly appreciated.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I hooked up a brand new battery and tried to start it and I'm still getting the same sting but now the starter is trying to spin but gets seized . I took the starter gear off and all the gears spin freely and when I push the start button it spins but when I put the gear box back on it won't spin

Old 05-31-2017, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

When I pull this off the starter spins but when I put it back on it will not spin

Old 06-01-2017, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the middle of the case that that part bolts to there is a plug. Use a big allen wrench to remove it. You can then put a socket on the end of the crank and see if the engine turns. Should turn easy with no spark plug in it and a little harder with the plug in.