Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

suzuki LT50 1980 approx

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suzuki LT50 1980 approx

Have been asked to fix a Suzuki LT50 for my niece which had no spark because the old pull start mech flew to bits and destoryed the magneto. They had fitted a new pull start prior to me getting the bike. I have now started the bike and the wheels run backwards , Does this mean there are different pull starts mechs for these bikes and the engine is running backwards . Any Ideas would be helpful Thanks

Old 12-17-2017, 11:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

As far as I know there is only one pull start and the engine shouldn't run backwards anyway. However, back in the late 1950s, microcars like Messerchsmitts and Heinkels often had two stroke motorcycle engines, and to save money on making reverse gearboxes they had movable contact breakers, so you could change where it sparked to the other side of TDC, this made the engine run backwards. So, looks like you have got the ignition timing to the wrong side of TDC somehow. Never been quite sure how the LT50's timing works as there is no trigger coil, the exciter does everything, but either you have the coil on the backplate wrong, or the flywheel isn't on the key.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by merryman
As far as I know there is only one pull start and the engine shouldn't run backwards anyway. However, back in the late 1950s, microcars like Messerchsmitts and Heinkels often had two stroke motorcycle engines, and to save money on making reverse gearboxes they had movable contact breakers, so you could change where it sparked to the other side of TDC, this made the engine run backwards. So, looks like you have got the ignition timing to the wrong side of TDC somehow. Never been quite sure how the LT50's timing works as there is no trigger coil, the exciter does everything, but either you have the coil on the backplate wrong, or the flywheel isn't on the key.
Excellent thanks , You where dead right . With the wiring wiped off the original magneto I had fitted it the wrong way thinking the wire leaving the Magneto would face the rear where it exits the housing . How wrong I was. Really appreciate your Help Merryman and I would like to wish you a Merry Xmas and a happy new Year Many Thanks Russell