Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2005 King Quad 700 stalling issues

Old 06-26-2018, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 King Quad 700 stalling issues

I own a King Quad 700 with less than 6000 km showing on the odometer. Starting around 3 years ago the atv got itself into a bout of stalling. It would run fine for 30 km or so and then would run in fits and spurts after being restarted. It got to the point that I was forced to bring it to a dealer three times. The first had it for about 2 weeks and finally returned it unfixed but without charging me. The next dealer looked at the quad twice and I thought the issue had been solved until a couple of weeks ago when it reared its ugly head again. I have looked at the tps, checked for codes, replaced the plug, checked the air filter , etc. The last time it happened I was getting down toward 1/4 tank of fuel showing. I emptied 4 l of fuel into the tank and drove the remainder of the way home without a problem. I took it up to 90 kph and it seemed fine. The only changes I could see from before and after were new fuel and the actual removal of the fuel cap. This quad is used for trail riding only. It doesn't see much mud or depth of water. It's kept clean. I have read many posts regarding stalling issues with this quad. My battery is kept on charge. I installed the extra ground. The problem with a lot of threads is that they end rather abruptly without a definite solution to the problem. Suzuki has a troubleshooting flow chart. One problem with dealers is they don't take the machine for a good long run to actually experience the issue while it is happening. Is it a fuel check valve ? Was there water in the fuel ( I siphoned out the fuel that was in the tank and put in some methyl hydrate to evaporate any water that was around and purposely left the fuel cap off to promote this process. Can anyone shed a little extra light on this issue. The quad is great on gas, has a wonderful ride, is comfortable, etc. but the lack of reliability is a real pain.

Old 06-27-2018, 03:07 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The most common running fault with the 450 to 750 Suzukis is a blocked fuel filter. The one in the tank is the main one, and a pain to get at, but the most commonly blocked, is the tiny filter in the injector. Not too bad to get at, and cleaning it out with an air line usually does the trick. However your problem could be a blocked tank vent. Unusually for a quad, it isn't in the cap, but a separate vent line, which doubles back on itself attached to the LH top frame tube, above the tank, but under the plastic, so you need the plastic off to see it. Slacken the cap if it does it again, and see if the fault goes off. A faulty temp sensor may upset the running when hot, and may not fault code, only substitution would show if this is the problem.