Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Hatfield/McCoy Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though I am a RedRider, I was asked to come here to the Suzuki forum to talk about our Hatfield/McCoy ride last year. There is a group of folks going soon, and they wanted to know what to bring, etc. P.S. We are going ourselves in early June.
Anyway, make sure your bike is in good mechanical shape. A 20-mile ride at Hatfield leaves you 20 miles from your vehicle! Also, bring extra gas, as well as an extra spark plug. I also suggest an air pump (don't forget that a high-volume bicycle pump ($10 from Wal-Mart) can inflate ATV's tires, and doesn't require electricity), as well as a first-aid kit. SOme snacks and drinks for trailside stops, and a camera with extra films, because some of the pictures from the top of the hills looking down at the fog in the valley are breath-taking. I suggest riding RockHouse on the first day, as it has wider trails, and is not as technical. Good way to shake off the (ATV)riding cobwebs. Bear Wallow is more challenging, and narrower trails and twisties. Remind everyone to take it easy on the first day, so you can still be riding on the other days. No need to wipe out a mile from the parking lot, and put a damper on the whole trip. Print off the H/M trail maps, and reference them whenever you cross another trail. That way you can keep track of where you are, and know where you're going. It would be real easy to not pay attention and get lost. Who knows when another group will come along a little-used trail. Also, before you yell "Watch this!", and try to impress your riding buddies, notice the drop-offs on the down-hill side of the trail. Some are 100+ feet, and the thing that may most impress your buds is how the life-flight helicopter got you out of there, or how high-pitched you screamed on the way down. Also remember, the longer it has been since you last ran into someone going the opposite way, will probably increase you chances of the same (literally running into someone going the opposite way, if you forget to watch for on-coming traffic). Also, remember you'll see more wildlife than you may be used too. And you will probably run across some bear sign, jsut make sure you don't become the next pile....
H/M is easily one of the best run trail systems, with friendly folks manning the offices at the trailheads. I know it's hard, but check out the scenary while you (safely) ride, because it's beautiful. Just make sure you stay on the trails. Also, we never made it to the 3rd trailhead (just BEar Wallow and RockHouse), so if you ride there, you'll have to let us know how it was! Folks are friendly, and very pro-ATV's (and dirtbikes), although listen to the folks at the trailheads, and try to be off of the trails be dark. Lotsa nasty things come out after dark, even some on two feet!
Campgounds: We tried the Paradise Island, before they were completed, and liked it so much, we're going back. They have their own webpage, and they are posting here now (one of our suggestions)as GhostNews. The owners are very religious, and they don't allow alcohol at the campsite, but that's a good thing for us.

Old 04-24-2001, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info Bob. We're planning on staying at the Chief Logan State Park, which also has showers. Important information you have concerning reverse traffic. We'll have to watch for them. Hope to ride all the trails if we can get over the, "stop to look at the view," kind of thing... What's the temperature like at night this time of year, there? What kind of two legged things were you talking about, that we might not want to deal with? Come on Bob, don't leave us hanging...
Chuck

Old 04-25-2001, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider

Well, there are bears there, and they walk on two legs. But all the locals, as well as the folks who run the H/M office at the trailhead, mentioned that after dark, the "locals" come out onto the trails, either to party, or to hunt, and we wouldn't want to be on the trails for either activity, yet alone both at the same time. Although I am new to Ohio, having moved here just 2 years ago from Colorado, Ohioans and the WV'ers have a thing kinda going on, disparaging remarks and stuff, and I did not want to give that impression. But locals anywhere in this country out in the woods after dark can be a scary thing, no matter what part of the country you live in. As for the temps, I don't know, as we went in November, and it got a little nippy at night. Try asking the gut whose name starts with HCIT*** or something like that, as he is from around there, or maybe WAYNEB, as he rides there a lot, and is the one who introduced us to it.
Also, some of the narrow trails at H/M were going to be reviewed for possible widening, so it may not be too bad. But you will be grinning after the first day! It's a memorable place to ride...

Old 04-25-2001, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Got it Bob... Locals on the trail, partying... I Don't want no parts of that one. Rather run into a bear. That's B-E-A-R! Anyway, we'll make sure we're off the trails by dark. Also, don't want to get into the middle of a Ohioan/West Virginian conversation. But thanks, the trip sounds like it'll all be well worth while.
Chuck