Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Death Wobble above 35mph???

Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Death Wobble above 35mph???

I have a 2003 Vinson 500 and while riding it will shake violently and start the death wobble at above 35mph. I have noticed that the tire on the right side is wearing alot on the outer edge and the left is not. Seems like the toe is set in on it a little. It is a very bad shake. I also noticed some play in the lower steering bushing. could this be causing it? all ball joints and tie rod ends seem tight. Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You could fit a new steering shaft bush, but the shaft wears too so it often doesn't take all the slop up. Not one of Suzukis best ideas. Quads do tend to wear the tyres at one side more than the other, no idea why. You may have a problem with a buckled wheel, lift the front end up and spin the wheels by hand, note if the rims tend to wander in and out as they spin. If one is buckled replace it, then get the bike tracked, no good tracking with a buckled rim. Suzukis can be very picky on tyres, the 450KQ had Duros as standard and the bike would get very heavy on the steering as they wore, rather like diff lock was engaged. We replaced them with Executioners which one would have thought would make it worse, but no, much lighter steering.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman View Post
You could fit a new steering shaft bush, but the shaft wears too so it often doesn't take all the slop up. Not one of Suzukis best ideas. Quads do tend to wear the tyres at one side more than the other, no idea why. You may have a problem with a buckled wheel, lift the front end up and spin the wheels by hand, note if the rims tend to wander in and out as they spin. If one is buckled replace it, then get the bike tracked, no good tracking with a buckled rim. Suzukis can be very picky on tyres

, the 450KQ had Duros as standard and the bike would get very heavy on the steering as they wore, rather like diff lock was engaged. We replaced them with Executioners which one would have thought would make it worse, but no, much lighter steering.
yah itís wearing and grabbing really bad. Even when Iím not riding and push it around in neautral you can see wear it scuffs on side just from pushing. I looked under there yesterday and the cv shaft is broken on the side. Could this have something to do with it? Iím leaning toward it is a toe issue and is accelerated by steering bushing .

Old 04-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

So what your saying is you have a unbalanced, broken cv shaft and you are wondering what the shaking is from? Okey Dokey.
Fixing something that is broke may be a good place to start.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well Lt80 just bought it trying to figure everything out. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Sorry, sometimes I type with a iron finger.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

All good man, sometimes you have to put things in clear English for us ! Ha! Iím gonna set toe and install new shaft and see what we got