Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

need help with lt500

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2001, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well after disassembling my 500 i found why it is blowing so easy. the cylinder is cracked. i have talked to a few local shops and cant get no one to do it soon ther all backed up. Any one know some one who could do the job like today? thanks

Old 08-23-2001, 12:40 PM
Range Rover

Did it crack at the rear base bolt? That seems to be the week spot on them. That happened to me on my old Zilla. I work at a tool and die shop where we have two very experienced tig welders. The problem with welding something like that is that things warp when you weld them. I figured I had nothing to lose so I had one of them weld it up for me. Sure enough it warped it aout .020. I had to then set it up on a mill and clean it up. The reason I am telling you this is becuase if you have it welded it most likley will warp and you will most likley have to have it machined then. I was lucky and got mine done for free since I worked there. If I did not work there it probably would have cost me a couple hundred dollars. Check into this before you have anything done. Also it may not be a bad idea to look for another jug. I'd be willing to bet that East Coast ATV has one that they would probably sell you for cheaper than you would have the other one repaired for. That or Duncan Racing sells new OEM cylinders, but the LT500R jug costs $485.00. Good luck on whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted.

Old 08-23-2001, 08:36 PM
Range Rover

Also check the classified posts around the place. I saw one the other day which someone was parting a zilla, and the had a jug and head for sale. But i cant remember where i saw it sooo..... I would say picking up a second hand one is your best bet. Hey zilla, my mate welded the barrel (jug) on a KT100s clone called an ARC engine (water cooled) which had split and that warped about .060! you got away lucky! hehe. Mind you we probably weren't using the best equipment. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2001, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Well i finally found a local machine shop that is going to do it for me for $100. I couldnt complain. he is setting it up on a jig so the warpage should be minimal and wont have to machine as much off the bottom. i am doing to it like Mumms the word racing does their 500 cylinders. And that is to add longer studs and machine out a 3/4 inch peice of aluminumn and weld that on top of both rear mounting ears to reinforce it so it wont happen again. (i lost a race cause of this) Also thinking while i am at it having the cases hardened and annodized but not sure about that yet. Alocal shop does that to stop the crank bearings from coming loose. All i got to say is after this zilla is bullet proofed it will be the awsomist quad in the world. i mean mine is MX ported so it rips your arms off from idle to full tilt. Nothing like it hehe. any ways i m getting off the subject. thanks for the ideas guys!