Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

rubber mounts for zilla engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2001, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the question was probably asked before and will many times again, but I still need an answer. Has anyone found rubber engine mounts for these quadzilla monsters? My wife won't ride it because her hands get numb...maybe that's not a bad thing!

87 zilla
87 quadsport

Old 09-19-2001, 12:26 AM
Range Rover

You can't mount the engine with rubber. You can, however, mount the handlebars and the foot pegs with rubber bushings or spacers if vibration is a problem. I know this has been done by people that put non-counterbalanced (motorcycle) engines into quad frames. I have never seen exactly how this was accomplished but I think I can give you an idea.

For the handlebars, wrap some 1/8 inch rubber material around the handlebar in the two areas where they mount to the steering stem. A doubled over piece of innertube would probably work. Then tighten the four bolts as usual. Longer bolts may be necessary but I think the stock ones should work.

As far as the footpegs, you could use four (two each side) washer shaped rubber pieces on the bolts between the pegs and the frame. These may need to be closer to 1/4 inch to be effective. You could also cut a rectangular piece from the sidewall of an old tire (easier said than done) that is large enough to span both bolts on each peg.
I wouldn't recommend either of the above modifications if you are planning any hard core riding (large jumps, etc.). Given enough force, the handlebar could spin. Also, the footpeg bolts will experience more flex during hard landings and could then fail. However, if you were considering rubber engine mounts, you must not be thrashing that quad very hard.

Old 09-19-2001, 07:21 PM

you can't mount with rubber, i suppose that's true to a point... but you can sandwhich rubber between the engine and mounts like a washer, i've done it before and it reduced a very bad vibration problem, actually, the engine vibrated out of the chassis... but it did noticeably help, this engine was pretty insane and the chassis wasn't at all perfect, in fact the chassis made the vibration worse. it should help to use the rubber bushings a bit, i'm doing it for my RM engine if i ever get it...

Old 09-19-2001, 09:30 PM
Range Rover

PROBABLY THE BEST WAY TO GET RID OF THAT VIBRATION IS TO INSTALL A LONE STAR ANTI VIB STEERING STEM. IT USE'S RUBBER MOUNTS FOR THE HANDLE BAR CLAMP AND I LOVE IT. ALSO YOU MIGHT WANT TO MAKE SURE YOUR COUNTER BALANCER IS IN TIME WITH THE MOTOR, I HAD A FRIEND WHO'S WAS 180 DEGREES OUT AND IT HAD MORE VIBRATION THAN MINE. INFACT HE DIDN'T EVEN THINK ANYTHING OF IT UNTIL HE RODE MINE ONE DAY OUT AT DUMONT DUNES.

Old 10-26-2001, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

I took some brass/rubber washers that are for the metal sheds(that look like small airplane hangers), and decided that if I put them between the motor and the mounts, the mounts and the frame, between frame and footpegs, and also between the steering stem and the clamps, I oughta have a fairly smooth running zilla. The rubber's about as thick as the washer its built with, so it shouldn't allow hardly any flex in the motor. I think though that the rubber side should be positioned so it had the most contact area with the part you wanted to reduce the vibration in......feel free to try it and let me know if it really helps[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]..

Old 10-27-2001, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Stormnorm, have you seen the ads for a product called wristrester in the mags?

Old 10-27-2001, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Nope I've never seen any anti-vibration device(s) for a QZ.