Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT230S: The Original Quadsport - Refresh My Memory On A Few Things

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2002, 09:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The very first fourwheeler I ever rode was a 230 Quadsport. This was in 1984, or '85, I believe. At the time, my dad was buying me my very first motorcycle and the salesman put me on the Quadsport to teach me how to use the manual clutch. I had a blast riding it on their test track. I have been a Quadsport fan ever since. I would own one today if I could find an affordable and dependable example of one in the local area.

I have a few questions and I was hoping some of you could refresh my memory on a few things.

I know the Quadsport had a kick starter only, but did it have a reverse gear? Was it a five or six speed transmission? Also, did it have triple disc brakes or did it have drums up front? Finally, are surviving models still reliable today and are replacement parts hard to find?

Old 06-03-2002, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

I just sold my 85 Quadsport! That bike took a lickin' and kept on tickin'!!!

But to answer your questions, yes, it has reverse, 5 speed and triple discs!!

I was just recently able to get a header, muffler, jets for the carb, Hi-Po airfilter, tires, alum. rims, put new Maier plastic on it. So, ya, parts seem to still be available!

Old 06-03-2002, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the reply.

How does the 230 compare to say a 250EX nowadays? And, if you don't mind my asking, what's a good price for one in good condition?

Old 06-03-2002, 03:29 PM
Pro Rider

the lt230/250s will basically rape a 250ex. they were a very quick machine for the time. my neighbor has an 87 that i have done some work on, it is a very dependable machine; i've had to replace wheel bearings, brakes, plastic, and misselanious wear and tear type stuff. but he is still on the original motor and it will still pull hard on his polaris trailblazer.

Old 06-03-2002, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

Mine was in very good condition with all kinds of new stuff on it, I got $1500. But I think I was lucky to get that much. Probably more on the $1100-1200 price range. Of course things change depending on the time of season!

Old 06-04-2002, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

I've got an '86 LT230S. I've gone through everything on it except trans and brakes, they are still working great. It is a great quad and still keeps up with all the newer and larger engined quads. Handles great and has better brakes than some of the newer quads. I've added a Goki starter kit and a 400EX tool box to upgrade it. I also disassembled, cleaned and refinished everything on it as well as added new yellow Maier plastic too. The starter and 400EX control pod I added really brought it up to date and added greatly to the fun factor of this old quad. I even added a key switch on the right front fender. It will blow away both my Recon and Ozark in every performance measure. I'm sure it would toast a 250EX but I haven't had the chance to try one yet. It can't touch the newer 400 size quads in a drag race, but it's only 230cc. I've had no problems at all obtaining parts, new or used for it, they must had sold a bunch of them back in the day. I've got a couple of small pics of it on my website.

Old 06-04-2002, 09:34 AM
Pro Rider

bobcatv8,

I love your Quadsport. I have always thought the Quadsport and the Quadracer models were the best looking (or at least most fun looking) quads ever made. Yours takes it to another level. I have never seen one in yellow, and it just looks great! I would love to find me a good old Quadsport. If I had to replace the plastic, I would go with yellow also.

Old 06-04-2002, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Malochalo, I went to a local atv repair shop to get Quadsport front shocks to adapt to my Bayou 220 and the guy there had an '85 Quadsport that looked like new!! It was the model that had the starter and the battery was mounted behind the air box tucked up under the grab bar. It was in for bearing service. It had no rust, surface or otherwise, original plastic, labels and everything worked! It came down here from the New England area and obviously was stored inside in the winter. I think it was a LT230E model. But it was not for sale. Dang!!

Old 06-05-2002, 10:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

i just got an '85 230 quadsport. it is alot of fun to ride and is also my first quad, ive had to replace brakes on it and who ever i bought it off of put new plastic on it. i pick it up for $1000.

Old 08-09-2002, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes it has reverse it is a five speed, has triple discs and i think it is a very reliable quad and parts arnt to hrd to find

Quick Reply: LT230S: The Original Quadsport - Refresh My Memory On A Few Things