Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quad Sport Z-400: bent subframe without a single crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002 | 06:07 PM
|
Trailblazer

I've had a '03 Z400 for about 3 weeks now (totally stock except Suzuki nerf bars).
After two fair races and about 6 trips to the local track, I found three problems. The subframe already bending in the area where the exhaust bolts to the subframe. Noticed it during a good cleaning. I found that the right rear bracket, for rear plastic, was also broke where the two mounting bolts go into the frame. I also found the exhaust canister was dented in from the brake caliper.

This quad has never been crashed! Never even been rolled over or flipped. The worst it has seen was coming up a little short at a county fair triple twice (I really thought I could make it).

Has anywone else heard of this type of damage on these new Z400s?

Old 07-29-2002 | 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

sounds like coming up short, was more like coming up way short, and most likely the frame bent from the exhaust tweaking when it hit the caliper, i'm a good 220lbs, and jump pretty agressively, and havent had any problems, i've also rode a wheelie to far and hit the grabbar, which nailed some rocks, bent the tip on my yoshi, but the subframe is still straight. i would look for some subframes from walsh, lonestar and some others at least to allocate the use of a removable grabbar. n e way thats just my thoughs on the cause of the problem, i was worried about the 1 peice, because thats one of the things i dont like about ex's but so far.. so good.

Old 07-29-2002 | 09:28 PM
|
Trailblazer

Actually the subframe was bent toward the rear caliper, no away from it. I'm only 160lbs and I didn't hit the seat hard enough to even remember hitting it.

Speaking of coming up short, I don't believe I actually cased it (on the frame) because I didn't feel it in my ankles. I do beleive this event is what caused the subframe to actually bend though.

My 400ex has lasted through much worse (but is currently sitting with a frame that is broken clean through in two places). Yes, we hit very hard due to my misjudgement. Fortunately I only had a bruised spleen.

Old 07-29-2002 | 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like rider error totally. I weigh more than you and ride my Z very aggressively, no bends. I have also wheelied mine over and broke the tail light[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]lens cap. But when you stated you have a 400EX broke clean in half and now your new Z frame is bent, see any connection here anybody else? Not trying to start any junk here, just my 2cents.
PD

Old 07-29-2002 | 10:57 PM
WP
Pro Rider

You say it is bent on the right side? Is it where the lower exhaust mount is? I was looking at mine all torn apart and I thought mine was bent also. Then I looked harder and noticed that where the frame is indeed bent there is a gusset. The sub-frame is purposely bent on the right side for some reason and the gusset is there to strengthen the bend. Hopefully this is the case with yours.

Old 07-30-2002 | 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

question? i have had the new z for two months and love it... out here in havasu az. it took them forever to get the yosh comp slip on. but now it will be on my bike thursday and i gotta know, Is it worth the 399.00?????How much of a difference does it really make?

Old 07-31-2002 | 12:34 AM
|
Trailblazer

WP: yes, that is also where the "designed bend" is. The exhaust also has a slight indentation from the factory to give a little more clearence. In the subframe bend mine is definitely bent more (with the peeling paint and all) and the exhaust is dented more.

Today the dealer said they will report it to Suzuki and it may or may not be replaced. The dealership said it could go either way in their opinion.

Polarisdude: of course your titled ot your own (malformed in this case) opinion, I was only asking if others have seen similar type damage on these Z400s. I ride enough to have a fair expectation on what many quads should be able to withstand (compared to other quads). The Z400 has disappointed in this regard.

Old 07-31-2002 | 03:28 AM
WP
Pro Rider

AC Racing and others are working on aluminum replacement subframes. Look for one to be available soon.