Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson Tranny Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson Tranny Problem

When I put my 2003 Auto Vinson into gear I get a noise like a chain is not catching the sproket. After some working of the tranny shifter it "catches". Anyone else out there with this problem? Any ideas? Remember, this is an auto 2003.

Old 01-08-2003, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider

I hear this on my 2002 auto Vinson ocassionally. I think the shifter needs adjusted. It also happened when the bike was new and I tried to go into 4WD while still moving. I have 1100mi. on it now and it's not as bad. I can go in and out of 4WD while moving slow. I will hear it sometimes when braking real hard with the left front (rear wheels) brake. What's funny is it doesn't make the sound if I use the foot pedal brake. Go figure....

Mark

Old 01-08-2003, 08:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2003 vinson auto(stock) I have noticed this clicking sound especially when the idle speed is high, like when you leave the choke on and try to shift into a gear. I have also heard this sound if I just raised the rpm's and tried to shift into a gear.

Old 01-09-2003, 04:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

My 2002 is in the shop right now for the same reason, hell it's been in the shop 3 out of the 6 months that i owned it and all for the trany. go figure. I only have 153 miles on it and am looking to trade for a Grizzly ASAP. I will let you know what the problem with mine is when I get it out in a couple of days.

Old 01-09-2003, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

I had a 2002 Vinson with tranny problems and when I took it into the dealer for the shifter fix they completely screwed it up. They did such a bad job that, although it took about two months, American Suzuki traded me out for a 2003. I have had no major problems with the 2003.

Old 01-10-2003, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

Dontbuy- Which dealer is doing your repairs? I've had my Vinson since last February with no trouble. Sorry to hear yours has been in the shop so much. I did have one dealer advise against the tranny fix because the entire machine must be disassembled. My shifter was a little stiff at first, but has loosened up nicely. I have about 400 miles on it now, trouble free.

Looks like you may live nearby. Where do you ride? I mostly go up to Lake Murray, about 100 miles away. Would like somewhere closer if you have a place. I spend more time driving to riding areas than I do riding.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2003, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got my Vinson back today, wouldn't ya know they couldn't get it to duplicat the problem....sheesssh!! By the way did I mention this is the second Vinson I had in 6 months, the first also had tranny problems so they built me another one. They are replacing the plastic on the gas tank though it has seperated and seems to be shifting.
Pairo I take my bike to Action Suzuki in Mesquite, the sales department isn't that great but the service Manager there is a good guy he and I are becoming pretty good friends, I would definitely recommend their service department. I have 4 suzukie's Vinson, Eiger 400, LT80, and an Lt50. By far my wife's Eiger is the best bike that we have, no problems as of yet. I live in rockwall so I usually ride around here I have a few acres with a little over 100 acres across the street form me so thankfully I don't have to go far to ride. We plan on going to Longview next month to ride some trails there. By the way if you know of anyone that wants to buy my Vinson let me know.

Old 02-13-2003, 04:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well.......wouldn't ya know it my Vinson is back in the shop because the linkage cable broke it is the cable that goes to the shifter. This is the second tim in 2 months that has done this, and of corse the part won't be in till late next week. I have a call in to Suzuki to get them to trade this on for a 2003 or new 2002 doesn't matter because as soon as i get the new bike, i'm not going to put one mile on it, just load it up and go straight to trade it in for a Grizzly. Hope this will be resolve soon should know something tomorrow. DAMN TRANNY PROBLEMS ON THIS SORRY AS ATV.....NEVER BUY A VINSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course that is just one mans opinion, but I have steered all of my friends away from them, not that took much after they seen how mine has been. Good luck to all the other Vinson owners, I hope you are getting your use out of yours, someone should because it's not me.