Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

1990 LT230 E

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 LT230 E

Not sure if you guys remeber my las post, but basically heres my story:

I sold my super tricked out 01 Banshee, because I needed the moeny to buy a house (interest rates are so low I had to do it).

After I sold it I had no life and no fun because I could no longer go riding with my buddies.

I thought I would never get another quad because after buying the house I have no money only debt and became very depressed.

Thankfully, an great opportunity came up for me to buy a quad!!! I bought a 1990 Suzuki Quadrunner LT230e in EXcellent condition. It came even came eqipped with brand new holeshot tires, nerf bars, and two different exhaust systems (one DG high performance one). For all this I paid $300. I couldn't believe it, I was back into quad riding again!!!

The only catch was this baby hadn't been started in 3 years!!

Well I got her running again and have even taken her out riding.

However, she has a few ticks. When the quad is cold it is very powerful and will rev very high. However, once it warms up it will not rev high at all. It is very strange, you could be in say third gear with the throttle pinned and the motor wont rev any higher than say 3500 RPM. Is there a rev limiter?

Also when she's hot she idles at like 2000 RPM.

I'm thinking I need a carbuerator rebuild. Can someone tell me where I can buy the rebuild kit for a decent price, and does the rebuild kit come with different size jets?
If I am using the DG performance pipe I am assuming I need to jet up but to what size?
I am not in an elevated area.
Also what size jet does the stock carb use?
Last but not least how hard is the carb rebuild to do myself? ( I have never rebuilt a carb before).

Last but not least the drain plug hole (not the drain plug) is stripped. Right now I have a rubber plug in it. Without retapping the hole can anyone tell me what size drain up drain plug I can put in?

Thanks guys

Old 02-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1990 LT230 E

C'mon Fellas respond to my post already!! There has to be some 230 guys in here?????

Old 02-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 1990 LT230 E

I'll try [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The carb prolly needs cleaned real good. Yes there are rebuild kits "IF" you need parts,but usually not. I'm taking it for granted that the carb has not been cleaned.You didnt explain what you did to get it started after 3 years. Carb/filter/gas tank cleaning should have been first (if it wasnt)
It sounds to me like there may be an air leak. Check out the rubber that holds the carb onto the cylinder.
The guy who put the pipe on should have jetted it.It may or may not need a different jet.
The rev limiter is built into the electronics. I highly doubt that is a problem.
Stripped hole: get it heli-coiled and use a new plug.
I have a 93 230E, It's been a great machine
Good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2003, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1990 LT230 E

Here's what I did to get her running.

I drained the fuel out of the tank. Then put in new gas. I changed the spark plug, changed the oil, and that is it. After I did all this I gave her a few squirts of ether and she fired right up after not running for three years. Now I don't need the ether to get her started she will just fire up.

How do you reccommend I clean the carb? Just spray carb cleaner in it?

Also, the fuel strainers located in the fuel valve (off, on, reserve) is it a neccessity I clean those?
I am a little hesitant to take that valve off because I'm afraid the gasket will be ruined if I do. The tank is plastic so I'me thinking there can't be to much in there.

Any suggestions?

Thank you LT80 for you help this far.

Old 02-06-2003, 10:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default 1990 LT230 E

Well I like to take the tank off and swish it around and dump everything out.
The carb needs to be removed and the bowl taken off,the float/ needle/jets need removed and thoroughly cleaned (sounds like someone should help you)
After the carb is cleaned well.let us know if there is still a problem [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1990 LT230 E

To tell you the truth I haven't even played with the air - fuel mixture screws on the carb. I'm thinking I should try those out first and see what happens.

After that, then I'll clean the carb.

Thank you for the help.

I have another question, I have never owned a quad with automatic clutch. When the quad is in gear without the throttle applied should I be able to hit the brakes, and the quad will still keep idling?

Then when I hit the gas again the quad will go? Or do I always have to put it in neutral when I want it to idle when stopped like a quad with a manual clutch?

Old 02-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Default 1990 LT230 E

BE CAREFULL.. I wouldnt touch the screws! Make sure you count the turns so you can put them back where they belong [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Lemme see if I can explain this:: The carb needs cleaned dude! It IS the first thing that you should have done. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Shifting:: you need to shift up and down.You just have no clutch. ie: you are in 5th gear going down a path and need to stop.Yes you can just let off the gas and stop,but you cannot take off unless you downshift into a lower gear.

Old 02-06-2003, 11:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1990 LT230 E

Okay brother I'll clean away and let you guys know how it went.

Old 02-07-2003, 02:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1990 LT230 E

here's how you repair an ailing suzuki lt 230. firs you cruise the local tow auctions looking for a 86-90 kawasaki ninja zx600 street bike. then you cut the frame and fabricate the two frames as one. when you are done you take the monster to the beach and spank everything you can find. be sure to spank the sore losers twice for good measure. i have actually done this repair myself and reccomend it highly. this is the only super horsepower modification you can do to this particular machine and still be able to use pump gas. good luck and happy duning!