Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

any ideas on how to fix stripped oil drain plug threads

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any ideas on how to fix stripped oil drain plug threads

i was changing the oil on my suzuki ozark today and got a little over zealous with the wrench and sure enough ended up stripping the threads on the case, any one out there ever done that or know how to fix it ? being from a machining background i was thinking of just re tapping the hole with the same size tap to clean the threads up, but i don't think the threads will be as strong, or is there a better way to do it?

Old 08-21-2008, 05:51 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you can make it a fraction bigger, like 1/32" or 1/16" over, instead of tapping it the same size to clean it up. I think it would be okay to do that as long as you find or make a plug screw or bolt the right size. I've had to make nuts bigger and bolts smaller to fit odd hardware sizes. I don't know if you would be able to get a HeliCoil the right size but if you can that would be another option. Also you could build it up with JB Weld and tap it.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Pro Rider

Depends if the plug or hole is stripped. If hole I would go to the auto store get next size bigger & retap. If plug could just get new plug. Retapping same size would be weak. I have heard of self tapping plugs that will re tap it for you.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

A Helicoil installation would be an option. This is a steel coil acting as a thread in side a threaded hole. Find out the size bolt and thread you have, bring it with you
to a quality parts place. A good kit will have drill, tap, to resize the existing thread, and installation tool for placing the steel helicoil into the thread. This is a standard way to replace aluminum threads and is safe because if you overtighten the hole again, it will pull out the threaded insert ( helicoil ) and not screw up the threads in your mag. engine casing. l

Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

i had to do this a while back; stripped ot the case as you did. get a self tapping oil drain bolt/plug. autoparts stores have them. costs maybe about 4-5 bucks. bring your bolt in and match it to the next size up or next 2 sizes if you really screwed it up. Id go 2 variances automatically- just to make sure so i would not have to keep going back and forth to the store all day. also get a pack of the seals/washers that go witht he size(s) you pick. some of the self tappers are not going to have the best oil sealing ring on the bolt already. the one i got didnt, but with the washer-seal, it has never leaked a drop and you cant even tell that it has ever been stripped. works great!

may have to grind the bold down carefully and smoothly on the threaded end once hole is re-tapped as these bolts are longer than what came with the machine (it may hit stuff inside your engine). also oems sometimes have and oversize bolt/ plug already as this is a common problem with almost any bike.

a helicoil set is an option, but you will have to retap and the kit for that size is hard to find and costs way more. i ran around to 5 different autoparts stores before i found one in another town. im glad the self tapper worked though. much easier and quicker.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

The best way to do this is to look at a chart ,and find the closest standard size to your metric size .Then all you have to do is tap it and get a bolt no drilling .