Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

coolster 110cc no spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolster 110cc no spark

We just got a 110cc 4 wheel coolster used. My 5 yr old daughter rode it all day yesterday and it was fine. Shw went to ride it this morn before camp, rode it for about 2 min and it just shut off. She thinks she may have hit the kill switch but like I said shes 5. I have no spark, checked all the connections. Any help would be great. Thanks for looking.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On a lot of those chinese quads the handlebar kill switch is a left/right spring loaded slide switch, where sliding the switch either direction kills the spark. [This switch is a copy of a motorcycle switch where the left/right slide used to activate turn signals.]

But the kill switch stays active until you push the switch slider *in* towards the handle bar until it goes "click". Then (and only then) you can start the quad. [On the motorcycle this would be the action that turns off the turn signal.]

Not all quad have this sneaky style switch. But if you do (like me) it will get you again and again until it is tatooed into your brain.

So first make sure that is not the problem. If not then I need to know how many pins on your CDI? Is it four or five? The procedure from here splits into different paths depending on which ignition system you have.

And you'll need a meter to do some measurements...

Old 07-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 110cc Coolster dirt bike.

When I had the same problem I found the bolts had come loose on the coil pick-up located on the left side of the engine.

Tightened them and fixed the problem...

Definitely use loctite blue thread locker to keep them from backing out again.

I did not and ended up having to replace the coil pick-up / generator assembly.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by bgravit
I have a 110cc Coolster dirt bike.

When I had the same problem I found the bolts had come loose on the coil pick-up located on the left side of the engine.

Tightened them and fixed the problem...

Definitely use loctite blue thread locker to keep them from backing out again.

I did not and ended up having to replace the coil pick-up / generator assembly.
Most chinese quads have the pickup coil riveted down (not adustable). For those that are adjustable loctiting them down with the blue #242 loctite is wise. Collisions between the flywheel and the pickup are usually fatal.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, its only been 3 months to revist this issue. Thanks for the replys, here is where we are at. The kill switch seems to be fine as we put the oms meter on it and its working, fuse is ok, new cdi box. How ever we cant get any reading from the cdi conector when cranking the motor. My father inlaw is the one who understands this more then me. Hes asking me as what should the oms be on the mag when craking the motor ? Im hopeing someone is going to trll me the mag is bad. Any help would be great. Thanks Kenny

Old 10-20-2012, 12:53 AM
Electrical Expert

This is wrong forum group to post chinese quad questions. Please post your question again in the chinese forum, or the chinese ask an expert forum (only one of the two - not both - it will be seen in either place (unlike here)).

I won't answer your question here since that will only bring more questions here. I (and most others) rarely come here.

Originally Posted by grassrootsken
We just got a 110cc 4 wheel coolster used. My 5 yr old daughter rode it all day yesterday and it was fine. Shw went to ride it this morn before camp, rode it for about 2 min and it just shut off. She thinks she may have hit the kill switch but like I said shes 5. I have no spark, checked all the connections. Any help would be great. Thanks for looking.