Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

getting silly now

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 04:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting silly now

Hi, i haave posted on here before regarding my 110 cc quad CHINESE make brand unknown. I have asked many people not just on here and to no avail before anyone says owt i didnt know how painful these can be, when they breakdown to cut to the chase it was working brill .Then one day nothing at all so i changed the stator the coil the rectifier the spark plug the battery now what happens when i crank the engine and test the spark plug .
1- resting the spark plug on the cylinder head RESULT- NO SPARK
2- holding the spark plug away from the cylinder head approx the depth of a two pence piEce or slightly more RESULT - A SPARK FROM THE PLUG
can anyone help please
thank you

Old 03-09-2014, 06:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Trailblazer

I had a Chinese 150, it kept going through CDI's. They were cheap to replace at about $20. Once you get it running sell it and get a used name brand, worlds apart.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

stigs dad,

If the spark is jumping from the spark plug to the engine and not in between the postive electrode and the "L" shaped peice of metal above it (where it is supposed to spark) then you just need to buy a new spark plug.

Here's what's going on... You either have a tiny chunk of metal that is wedged in your spark plug or your spark plug is deffective. Either way all you have to do is get a new plug. In a working spark plug the electricity jumps through the air to get to ground which makes the spark. When the spark plug is screwed into the engine, touching the engine or frame, the threads of the plug and "L" shaped little metal bar at the tip becomes a ground. If the plug is NOT screwed into OR touching the engine OR touching the frame it is just a peice of metal. The tiny chunk of metal that doesnt belong there is creating a path for electricty to travel directly to ground (the "L" shaped bar at the tip). It is easier for electricity to pass through metal than it is to arc through air so thats why it doesnt spark while touching it to the engine. When you hold your plug slightly away from the engine (the ground) the electricity arc from the threads and "L" shaped bar to the engine because that metal chunk is in your plug. Hope this helps.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Stigs dad, so since you get all that, heres whats happening and why.