Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I told you the new Grizz needed a wider stance. We rolled ours today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No casualties. Just a small ding in the gas tank. One day old.
I didn't do it. Skyler did. Trying to stay ahead of our friend David, and doing very well till he went into a corner too fast, couldn't power out of it and high sided off the corner with the Grizz caught on its' side by a juniper tree. One big scratch on Skyler, who had parked his Raptor for this ride on the new Grizz.
See, the Raptor only gets you in trouble when you try to ride something else like you've been riding your Raptor.
Then, after having discussed this wheel thing, that the new Grizz was designed wide, that they stuck these lame-O wheels on it that narrowed it up as much as possible. We were looking at the Honda Foreman's wheels and thought they might fit, and they had about a 3 " offset which would have widened the Grizz by about 4". So we jacked up the Grizz and took off a wheel. Just to see, I flipped it around and put it on backwards. It fit fine, valve stem didn't hit anything. So I switched both back wheels and bolted them up. This widened the Grizz by 10 inches!! At 53" wide it was only 2" wider than the DS, and did look a bit silly, but man does it powerslide!!
We had to switch the wheels back to load it on the trailer, but the point is that The new Grizz needs to be about 6 inches wider in back and 4" in the front. So a new set of wheels is going to get ordered on Monday, with some new back tires with some RUBBER on them. I'll put the old rears in front, and make a lawn decoration with the old front tires.

As if that wasn't enough, The fan went out in my DS and I overheated it. No real damage, just the fan. This thing is fantastic and I love it dearly, but it was designed and built in Canada, I live in the Desert and it is hot here. IT was hot today. The DS is going to get two new fans, one in front and one in back. Then David's truck blew an oil line...Hey,, It was a good day! No injuries, no blown motors, no serious damage. And we figured out a really silly thing to do with the Grizz that actually worked.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2001, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Ahhhhhemmmm. AHHHHEEEMMMMMM. AAAAHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEMMMMMMMM!!!!
EXCUSE ME,,,,BUT WE JUST ROLLED OUR NEW GRIZZLY. IT is too damn NARROW 43", what a load of crap. And you guys got nothing to say??? How 'bout you woods riders? I insult your skinny *** machines and NOTHING? I thought this was a tough forum. Guess I was wrong. Oh, I see now it was on a different post that I insulted the skinny *** woods riders, Skinny quads suck. They are unsafe at any speed, to coin a phrase. Akuna Matata, or Iaho Laula, WIDER IS BETTER.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2001, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

Hey foulix, where in NM is Gila??? Is it by the Gila River cause I live about 200 yard from it. I live in Safford, AZ which is about 20 minutes from the AZ/NM border.

Old 07-01-2001, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

I agree and disagree with the Grizzly being wider. I ride often with a friend who rides a Traxter. He has far better off camber stability then I do. He can also do hi-speed corners better then I can. However, we do most of our riding in the mountains in thick woods. My nick name for him is "tree skinner". If he gets too far in front of me, I can always tell which way he went by watching for missing bark on the trees. He will often have to saw trees out of his way to get down some of the tighter trails! So for the kind of riding that I do, wider would not be better most of the time.

Rick

Old 07-01-2001, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

Yesah RedReconRider. We're just across the Gila river from Cliff, which is on 180 between Silver City and the Mule Creek turnoff, which is how we get over your way. Takes about an hour and a half for us to get to Safford. How are those Dunes over there? I've heard a little about them, must be pretty hot this time of year. We'd like to try them sometime.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2001, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

Man fourlix yopu peice of crap i hate you for making fun of narrow machines ahh!!!!lol,jk!but 4real though that sucks that it is narrow and it wood be hard and expensve to buy 4 sets of a arms!!AH!But at least you can get wheeles to make it wider!

Old 07-01-2001, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, A-arms would be out of the question. The chassis and hubs are wide enough, even the ball joints on the front are way inside the wheels, so spacers or offset rims is not going to screw up the front end. It really is like they designed it wide, then stuck these inset rims on to make it narrow. Now to find some wheels. 12" diameter aluminum with the right bolt pattern and offset is going to be the hard part. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-01-2001, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

I had the parts department at Alba Yamaha looking for wheels for mine. He didn't have any luck but said ITP and Douglas should have some available in a couple of months. Keep us posted on what you find.

Arlan

Old 07-02-2001, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Fourlix,

The dunes are great over here. It is not as popular as Dumont or Glamis and all the others so not as much other riders to look out for. And once in a while on the weekdays you can get the dunes ALL to yourself. If you get used to it you can take the heat up there. It is about 108 in Safford and I still ride here and the dunes get hotter. I'm going out Wednesday for the 4th of July[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] It is a blas there. I find as much fun as Glamis but without all the rules. I would reccomed you come oout here sometime. It would be about 2 hours to get there from Gila. Oh yeah, in the winter at nights I love to go and sit in the Hot Wells. But the only bad thing about it is that thats where all the party goers go to go get drunk. Luckily most of them don't ride quads.