Technical and How-To Articles Post your Tech Tips and How-to articles here. Photo illustrations welcome

Bizarre starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre starting issue

He guys
I have a newly purchased 06 500 sportsman. Got it really cheap, low hours. Needed some work. After using it throughout archery season I noticed that it wouldn't always start...right away. After playing with the run off switch and ignition it would fire up second or third time. Stupidly I purchased a new switch and ignition without a proper diagnosis. I am leaving tomorrow with my family on a trip tomorrow and wanted to bring it. Basically if I leave ignition on and click... run/off switch it will occasionally fire up. Once out of 50 or 60 clicks. Sometimes fast sometimes slow. Not sure if that matters. One other strange thing attributed or not. I had it going and turned on my back lights. It shut down. Now it's 50/50. Sometimes it stays running when I do it and other times it shuts off. I asked another site and know body responded. Thought it was strange. Found this site and you guys seem pretty hands on. I would appreciate any advice or help. Dealer is out a week which doesn't help when I'm taking off tomorrow. Thanks man

Old 12-11-2014, 07:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Eliminate simple things like battery connections first. Possible for the left control switch to have a short or the two connectors leading into it may need to be pulled out/cleaned and use a little electrical grease. Plus play with these two connectors as you try to start it. Some over a period of time may not make good contact with the pins. Over the years I had to replace a lot of control switches along with ignition switches. Plus under the front panel is a bad place for wiring shorts. Especially around the high beam connector and main harness that wraps around this area and ties into both switches. You can test if the starter/starter bendix are okay by simply jumping the solenoid posts. Plus this model was under the ecm recall (located under the front panel) Check if you still have a BLACK finned Chinese module or the replacement silver Sure Power module. Even those replacements have failed. Ecm mainly controls the charging and fan operation,but can screw up a lot of things if they short out. If you still have the black Chinese one it's still under recall,no cost to you through any dealer.Polaris Industries Expands Recall of ATVs Due to Fire Hazard | CPSC.gov These are a few things to check. From your description sounds like the left control switch or wiring short could be the main culprit. Plus I always push these cheap 5 buck manuals that have good trouble shooting guides along with detailed wiring diagrams. http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2006-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 12-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really are great guy for responding so quick. I've tried to follow the 2 switch wires but it does lead to a mess of wires. Wrapped well. I'll carefully cut off plastic protectors and check for shorts. Disconnect and grease the ones you described. I'll check it all tomorrow. I did jump the started and it worked. Wouldn't start but fired the engine. My battery connections were so loose I'm not sure how it ever started. Kinda did common sense basic things. I'm just not getting power from battery/starter, etc to the front. No lights or dash unless I do the back and fourth numerous times while holding key in on position. Thanks again man. You really know what your talking about.
Jason