Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

fleetwood toy hauler

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0.

I'm looking for one of the bigger toy haulers, the 30 ft. gear box caught my wifes eye, I was just wondering what everyone else uses. By the way I'm looking at bumper pulls, because I'll be hauling up to six quads at a time, and there looks like there is not enough room in any of them for six, I still need my box

Old 07-19-2004, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default fleetwood toy hauler

We have an 04 Weekend Warrior FB3000(its a front bathroom 31' box bumperpull) and i think you could haul 6 quads in it. We have hauled 3 quads and a golf cart in it and still room for atleast 1 more quad and a golf cart is almost the size of 2 quads. It will be for sale after labor day weekend too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Sean

Old 07-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I sold the new gear box at the last dealership i worked at, when they came out they had some major hitch weight problems, and still are, i would go with a warrior, better price too. let me know

Old 07-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

I saw the hitch weight dry was over 1,000 lbs. with an equilizing hitch, that shouldn't be a problem, they say 10% hitch weight is optimum, never had any problems with this formula. I use a '02 ford drw f-350, and had zero problems with anything I've hooked to it. But is this too much for the eq. hitch? Dry hitch weight on my current camper is 750 lbs. and zero probs.

Old 07-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

The biggest equalizers are rated at 10-12K trailer and 1,000-1,200 lbs tongue weight from what I've seen.

Because you have a really high payload capacity the tongue weights aren't as much of an issue, as long as you don't exceed your hitch rating. Which on a received is USUALLY 12,000 unless you get up into bigger trucks where you might have higher ratings with Pintle hitches. I know most of our pintles are rated at 16K or 20K pounds.

With it being dry, it's gonna only get heavier. Have to figure water weight. Most of these trailers have 100 gallons tanks, so that's going to be 830 pounds. But that should be offset by the cargo (quad) weight on th eback end.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

We have an older fleetwood 5th wheel toy hauler... Granted, we travel some very rough roads, but we've had a great deal of problems with it.
The siding is stapled to the thin framework, and when the staples pull out... there is no warranty
Therefore, I've had the entire skin off this thing, using screws instead of staples, and adding a BUNCH of reinforcement... I'm NOT very happy with the quality and workmanship of this rig.

For what it's worth....

Old 07-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
The biggest equalizers are rated at 10-12K trailer and 1,000-1,200 lbs tongue weight from what I've seen.

Because you have a really high payload capacity the tongue weights aren't as much of an issue, as long as you don't exceed your hitch rating. Which on a received is USUALLY 12,000 unless you get up into bigger trucks where you might have higher ratings with Pintle hitches. I know most of our pintles are rated at 16K or 20K pounds.

With it being dry, it's gonna only get heavier. Have to figure water weight. Most of these trailers have 100 gallons tanks, so that's going to be 830 pounds. But that should be offset by the cargo (quad) weight on th eback end.

Nope, you can get a WD system rated at 14,000lb total and 1,700lb of tongue weight. It is called the Titan WD system. 2 1/2" receiver, 2 1/2" draw bar and 1700lb rated bars.
I use a 14,000/1,400lb rated Equalizer system for my FS3000.

By the way, tongue weights on these trailers are heavier than most realize. I have a tongue weight scale and have used it in different setups.
FS3000:
No water, no toys: 1400lbs at the ball.
Full water, no toys: 1800lbs at the ball.
Full water, lifted golf cart , banshee, kids quad: 1400lbs at the ball.

FS2600(my buddies)
1/2water, no toys: 1800lbs at the ball.
Full water, 2 full size quads: 1600lbs at the ball.

Running a 2 axle vs 3 axle really increases the tongue weight since all of your water hangs over the front axle.

Old 07-30-2004, 05:24 AM
Quad Patrol

lincster, thanks for the information. I've been wanting to buy one of those scales. Those are numbers that I think people forget about and how much things loaded and unloaded effect the weight.
B&R, can you see a Nissan or Toyota pulling one of these behemoths? Out right SCARY[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 07-30-2004, 06:14 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Ahhh...this is why you pointed me back over here....

Actually I could see some numbskull trying it. They'd be like that video. hehe. "He's running rich." No, he's running poor, cause the new motor and tranny is gonna cost a lot of money.

I'd be dangerous with a set of scales. A truckers worst nightmare. LOL. A CHP officer with a set of scales, and a compilation of weight ratings and what not could make the state some serious bank on a busy weekend. And probably some Commercial tow truck drivers/companies. I'd hate to have to pay the tow fee when your trailer has to be towed by a guy with a Class A. That sucking noise is the towing company at your bank.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-31-2004, 03:40 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Ahhh...this is why you pointed me back over here....

Actually I could see some numbskull trying it. They'd be like that video. hehe. "He's running rich." No, he's running poor, cause the new motor and tranny is gonna cost a lot of money.

I'd be dangerous with a set of scales. A truckers worst nightmare. LOL. A CHP officer with a set of scales, and a compilation of weight ratings and what not could make the state some serious bank on a busy weekend. And probably some Commercial tow truck drivers/companies. I'd hate to have to pay the tow fee when your trailer has to be towed by a guy with a Class A. That sucking noise is the towing company at your bank.

LOL, You got a few good lines in there. To bad CHP is down 2300 positions. Otherwise, we might see more commercial guys out and about[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Those Class A trucks go like $250 an hour. Once saw a over-load truck (needed a permit) get wedged under a underpass under I-5. County screwed up and put that bridge on his route. It took 4 of those Class A trucks and 2 days to get him unstuck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]County had like a $17,000 bill. The scary part was when CalTrans inspected the bridge. All they did was pound on the cement to hear if there was any difference in the "clunk" they were listening to[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: fleetwood toy hauler