Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Towing question

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing question

hmm how bout a silverado 2500hd with the 6.0, here's the specs GVWR 9200 Payload: 3646 Max Trailer Weight:10,100

Old 07-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Towing question

That's what you need. I'm not gonna waste time running the numbers. You'll be fine. Plus I'm at work and my spreadsheet is at home.

Unless you're climbing a steep grade with that truck with the trailer attached, you'll probably wonder where your trailer went, until you see it in the rear view mirrors. I know someone who pulls about a 24' with that truck basically. She just can't pull it wet, as it really loads it up. But then again, Cuesta Grade seperates the work horses from the toys. Check for rebates and what not and see if you can swing a diesel. Never know. One guy I know paid about $10 for his diesel option on a GMC. Nice $4,000 rebate.

BTW the weights & ratings you need to start your calcs are:

Tow Vehicle:
GVWR
GCWR
Curb Weight

Trailer:
GVWR
Curb Weight
Capacity of fuel, water, propane, etc. (And the weight (in pounds) of each unit (gallon)).

Everything else can be calculated.
Payload = GVWR - Curb Weight
Towing Capacity = GCWR - Curb Weight - Payload. Just don't exceed the man. stated. But they should all work out anyways. Whenever someone tells you the tow capacity of a rig is, laugh at them. It means nothing in the real world of towing.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Towing question

Originally posted by: psuperman112
hmm how bout a silverado 2500hd with the 6.0, here's the specs GVWR 9200 Payload: 3646 Max Trailer Weight:10,100
Now you can get what ever toyhauler you want.

Old 07-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Quad Patrol
Default Towing question

Yes, the possibilities are almost endless. Whatever you were looking at towing with the Nissan, will be no problem for the HD. Now your on the right path[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Range Rover
Default Towing question

i need to get a new truck because i want to get a toy hauler, i really dont want to spend too much because the truck will be a second car i'm really looking at the Nissan Titan because of the price/towing cap. heres my question, the titans towing capacity is 9100lbs. but what do u guys think the actual amount it could tow well is? most toy haulers are heavy without liquids even in them and in california i will most likely have to tow up hills no matter where i go. any ideas of what haulers to look at with that setup?
Psuperman,

I have first hand experience of what you are talking about. Last year i bought a 21 foot rampage toyhauler @ 6200 pounds dry. At the time i had a 2000 chevy silvarado 1/2 ton z71 with 5.3 vortec and 4:10 axle rated for towing 9500 pounds. Fully loaded the trailer weighed 8500 pounds plus whoever was in the truck, usually two adults. For how much the trailer weighed, I will have to say I did not think my truck would pull it as well as it did. I was allways in od/lockout with the rpm above 3k. The biggest problems were climbing steep grades and being passed by eighteen wheelers. I would have to drop to 2nd gear and almost redline the truck, and when a big rig passed me i would kinda get pushed off the road. I will say this, the truck never heated up at all and always got me to where i was going. the gas mileage was bad.... about 7 mpg. In march I couldnt take anymore and traded up for a 3/4 duramax. What your contemplating is possible, however, you have to realize you will be limited in speed and there is a saftey comprimise. for what you will spend on a titan, you could get a dodge cummins. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:10 PM
Quad Patrol
Default Towing question

Originally posted by: BADBEARnoSportsman

Psuperman,

I have first hand experience of what you are talking about. Last year i bought a 21 foot rampage toyhauler @ 6200 pounds dry. At the time i had a 2000 chevy silvarado 1/2 ton z71 with 5.3 vortec and 4:10 axle rated for towing 9500 pounds. Fully loaded the trailer weighed 8500 pounds plus whoever was in the truck, usually two adults. For how much the trailer weighed, I will have to say I did not think my truck would pull it as well as it did. I was allways in od/lockout with the rpm above 3k. The biggest problems were climbing steep grades and being passed by eighteen wheelers. I would have to drop to 2nd gear and almost redline the truck, and when a big rig passed me i would kinda get pushed off the road. I will say this, the truck never heated up at all and always got me to where i was going. the gas mileage was bad.... about 7 mpg. In march I couldnt take anymore and traded up for a 3/4 duramax. What your contemplating is possible, however, you have to realize you will be limited in speed and there is a saftey comprimise. for what you will spend on a titan, you could get a dodge cummins. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.
Badbear, A lot of us on here have lived exactly what you just said. I agree 100%; DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Well, said. Lt. Dan

Old 07-21-2004, 06:24 PM
Range Rover
Default Towing question

Originally posted by: BADBEARnoSportsman
i need to get a new truck because i want to get a toy hauler, i really dont want to spend too much because the truck will be a second car i'm really looking at the Nissan Titan because of the price/towing cap. heres my question, the titans towing capacity is 9100lbs. but what do u guys think the actual amount it could tow well is? most toy haulers are heavy without liquids even in them and in california i will most likely have to tow up hills no matter where i go. any ideas of what haulers to look at with that setup?
Psuperman,

a new dodge cummings is more than the nissan and i dont really want to look into dodge because of past bad experiance with tranny. i'm pretty sure i'm going to pull the trigger on the 2500hd with the 6.0 when i find a good deal.

Old 07-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default Towing question

With the 6.0 V8 on a 2500 I would say stay around mid-20' (24'). Anything over nowadays and you're going to pop on the combined. And when you get into anything in the high 20s and above you'll push over 10,000GVWR on the trailer and trigger Class A licensing.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Range Rover
Default Towing question

Psuperman,

When I was buying my truck in March, base model Dodge's were around 30k, I dont know exactly what a titan goes for, are they more than that. Good decision on the 2500 hd, I would rather drive a chevy than a dodge anyday. However, you will still crave more power then the 6.0 has to offer, but you will feel safe when driving and your tranny should hold up. I can not stress how important it is to get the 4.10 axle, dont let the salesman talk you out of it.

Old 07-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Range Rover
Default Towing question

If he gets the 2500hd, they are only available with 4:10 gears.
A standard 2500 is available with 3:73 gears.
But, get the 2500hd, it is way more truck!

Quick Reply: Towing question