Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

towing with a minivan

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing with a minivan

The Astro/Safari vans will tow the setup in question. Your gas mileage of course would take a hit. The Astro/Safari vans have a platform of their own(M/L platform), which are nothing like the S/T series trucks(S-10/S-15). These vans have a unitized body with a subframe up front to cradle the suspension. The transmissions are the 4L60E (previously 700R4) which is also used in alot of the 1/2 ton fullsize trucks of GM make. The only relation to the S/T series trucks is the V6 engine and 4L60E transmission, and in the AWD models, the T-case is similar to the one found in the Bravada, which is an S series truck.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Ford conversion van. the E150 can tow 5500lbs, but the hitch restricts me to 3500lbs. there's a E250 and E350 (which is like an F350 pickup) and should tow even more. mine has the 4.6L V8 and it tows 2500lbs well, even through the mountains of Virginia. just had to keep it out of overdrive. it normally gets 15-17mpg around town, and 14-15mpg towing. i did get over 20mpg on one of a legs of a cross country trip but that was because i had a strong tail wind..

The Mark III conversion comes with the oil and Tranny fluid coolers, a heavy duty AC unit, and remote start. the TV and VCR are nice for kids in the back when traveling, or to catch the weather and news when camping.

the 4 front bucket sets are comfortable, even on a long trips. the rear bench seat folds in to a bed (OK for kids or short people), both the rear 2 bucket seats and the bench seat can be taken out with a flip of a lever, leaving tons of open room. you could put a atv inside instead of trailering it. the seat plates make good tie-down anchors. they's also room enough for a queen size air mattress.

i like the remote start. if i'm camping and i know it will be cold that night i just make sure i have the heater set. if i wake up cold i just hit the remote start. it has a 15-20 minute timer kill switch, so i don't have to worry about falling back to sleep.

if you do consider conversion van. be sure and do a lot of shopping around.. i seen a couple almost exactly the same as mine, 1 was $10,000 more. it had 28,000 miles less than mine and was the V6. i hear the Chevy and GMC are also good, but the Dodge is a bit noise.

my only compliant (besides that it can cost $80 to fill up) is my insurance company charges extra because it can carry more people.

if you looking for lot of towing and hauling power at a cheap price, look into an old ambulance. they have super duty engines and suspension. they are normally well maintained, so even the high milage ones could still be good dependable rides.

joe

Old 12-21-2004, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also suggest a later model (2000 & up) safari/Astro. They have a tow capability of 6000# Below is a good link for vehicle review.

null