Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Has anyone modded the HF 4x8 trailer to hold TWO ATV's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone modded the HF 4x8 trailer to hold TWO ATV's?

I have a small 4x6 trailer that I haul my Raptor on, but now my wife has a Warrior. I can get a good deal on a Harbor Freight 4'x8' folding trailer from a friend. I am trying to come up with ideas on how to modify it to hold both 4 wheelers? So far I am thinking about putting a 6 foot ramp sideways about 10 inches forward from the deck. It will be bolted or welded to the tongue. I can put the Warrior on sideways, and then pull the Raptor on the back. If viewed from above the ATV's woud look like a T. Of course there are issues, such as putting the ramp forward might allow me to back onto the ramp when turning the trailer :-(

Anybody gotten 2 largish 4 wheelers on a 4x8 trailer before?

Aaron

Old 01-21-2005, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

whats ur weight going to be? cus honestly im one for pushing things to the edge, but i really wouldn't go over 1450, the metal itself isn' that strong, i have one and prolly going to make mine wider, but the metal really is kinda of thin, also they say the tongue weight should only be, 150 pounds, honestly if you jump up and down on trailer tongue bars, u can bend them, no idea on the weight of the machine, if you beef up the frame, or go with the 1800 pound one you would be fine, let me know what u end up doing, cus mine needs to be wider too

Old 01-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

Well, the trailer is raited for ~980 lbs, the Warrior is 360ish and the Raptor is nearly 400, so I've got about a 200lb buffer. I looked at a Harbor Freight trailer today and came up with two different ideas:

1. Place two pair of 6 ft ramps on the trailer going sideways, then load the 4 wheelers on sideways, only problem is that one of the ramps will need to be right on top of the fenders.

2. (my current favorite) cut the section in front of the wheels in half and add ( by welding in C channel 3 feet of length, then cut the section behind the wheels and add 1 foot of length. That would make the trailer 12 feet long total, enough to hold both 4 wheelers nose to tail.

The original idea won't work, putting the 4 wheeler sideways out on the tongue puts it too close to the back of my Jeep.

Thanks,

Aaron

Old 01-22-2005, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

not sure on the 980 one, but my 1450 sold as the 1150 one, is not a straight c frame, it is made of 2 boxes 2 4x4, to make it foldable, the 1800 im pretty sure is straight through, if you end up making it 12 feet long, u got alot of modifying to do, your going to be doing alot of stress to the front end coupler sections, but do what u can

Old 01-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Trailblazer

another way is to make two ramps at the front of the trailer so the smaller quad goes on first at about a 45 degree angloe than the secound quad should almost fit on flat in the trailer but you can also make another set that can come out in the base of the trailer i have seen it done and i works quite well but it takes a bit of planning and muckin around

Old 01-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend against the HF modded trailer, despite the rating, getting any where CLOSE to the max limit will cause you problems, maybe not right away, but the stress will catch up to it and something will break,more than likely damaging your expensive quads along with it. Try to find a nice used 8x8 snowmobile trailer, most people had to go to 8x10 to fit the new,bigger sleds. I hauled 2 wheelers on a 6x8 sled trailer for years with no problems (it was very old !!!) and got it for 150 bucks. Just make sure the metal frame is is good shape,along with the wood, and they'll give you years of service without needing to be modified. After that broke, I made my own 6' 9" by 12' with 15" tires (outside frame, so it sits low) with electric brakes and torsion axles for 700 bucks for all materials, very heavy duty (3500 lb axle) but pulls like a dream. 3 quads sideways, or 2 end to end fit great. In the end it's up to you, but a folding trailer, no matter how modded, just isn't made for a lot of use, especially holding 2 very expensive quads, plus the smaller wheels that come with it don't like long high speed trips, they tend to overheat the small bearings in the spindles. In my opinion, you will be money ahead spending a little extra now on a trailer that will still be going strong years from now.

Old 02-06-2005, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I have a 4 x 8 trailer with 2 quads on it. Its a Haulmark with 12" tires and a 2K rating. Its made form welded angle iron, and seems very stiff. Its no problem pulling especially since the wheels aren't wider than my Dodge Dakota.

I put the Yamoto 150 on the front, sideways, and my Honda 250 in the rear facing forwards. I bought 4 steel ramps from Harbor Freight ($70 total on sale), and cut 2 of them to 4 foot long for the kids quad to sit on. Then, I used the extra 2 foot sections for the tailgate for my 250 to ride up. I can get the Yamoto off sideways by myself, but I need ramps to get it back on by myself. 2 regualr adults can get it on easily. I have extra space under the Yamoto in front to store helmets and tool boxes.

I have way too much stuff in the garage to store a full size trailer, so this was my best option. I live in a "community", so the high falutin neighbors don't want a trailer on the side of the house or standing up in the garbage can alley.

I'll take some pics Sunday morning before we go out. I wouldn't try it on a folding trailer, especially at highway speeds.

Old 02-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

eh angle iron is quite a bit stronger then the stuff my HF is made from, i would have no problem modifying yours for 2 quads

Old 02-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

Here are some pics.

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

Old 02-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

Well, two ATV's quickly grew to three ATV's. 95wolv's comments about a cheap trailer hauling expensive quads made sense to me. That combined with a sense of urgency to get a trailer last weekend so we could ride led me to purchasing this: http://www.texasbraggtrailers.com/DCP_0141.gif

It's 12x6. It holds 2 ATV's nose to tail easily. We had room for two ATVs (my Raptor and Christin's LT-Z250) and a friend's Yamaha 250F and Honda XR100 dirtbikes this weekend. The trailer was expensive (compared to a HF 4x8 trailer) but its heavy duty, fully tagged, lighted, etc.

Thanks,

Aaron

Quick Reply: Has anyone modded the HF 4x8 trailer to hold TWO ATV's?