Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Toy Hauler - aluminum vs. wood frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy Hauler - aluminum vs. wood frame

We are going to purchase a toy hauler soon. We have four quads (two are 90's) and two adults/two children however, we always take another family usually of equal size but no bikes, with us. We have looked at Gear Box and Weekend Warrior.

We like the fit and finish of WW and can get a better price on it however, it is a wood frame and we are on our second wood framed motorhome (which we will be selling) and we have had nothing but problems with them. Over time you get leaks and water and wood do not mix. We are also considering Gear Box.

What are your thoughts on the difference between the two types of construction?
What is your feed back on WW and/or Gear Box?
Is there a brand you know of that you strongly recommend over these two?
We will be pulling this with a Suburban 3/4 ton, for now, any thoughts on this?
Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Ever see a toyhauler start to whip on the highway, and then roll? I saw that once with a Weekend Warrior, and when that thing flopped on its side it just exploded into kindling. I could not believe the destruction, there was nothing left of it, and I mean absolutely NOTHING. Afterwards it looked like a warped flatbed trailer had been carrying a load of firewood kindling, and had lost its load on the side of the highway. The only way you would have even known it had been a toyhauler is by the twisted drop down rear loading ramp that was still hooked to the flatbed portion of the trailer, and by the wrecked ATVs laying on the side of the highway. I'm not sure an aluminum framed toyhauler would fare too much better in a roll onto its side, but it sure couldn't be any worse. From what I have read I think aluminum is better, because you always read about more strength with aluminum framing, but I have never read about more strength with wood framing. Also, there have been a number of manufacturers that have switched from wood to aluminum framing in the last few years, but no one has switched from aluminum to wood. If wood were better why wouldn't it be the other way around?

I owned a Weekend Warrior when I saw that one I mention above roll on its side, and that kind of thing affects you somewhat. I did alot of research when we upgraded to a bigger toyhauler, and I chose an aluminum framed toyhauler this time. Just my opinion.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Water infiltration will damage a lot more than just the wall studs if they happen to be wood. Whatever you get, you will need to make sure to keep everything sealed, calked if needed.

Aluminum is likely lighter, and could be stronger (some are screwed together and some are welded), but I have seen some rigs where you can see where every spar is from where the aluminum sweats/conducts heat. Apparently some are better insulated.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there are probably quality wood frames and quality aluminum frames, as well as poorly made wood framed rigs, and poor aluminum framed rigs.

Personally, I think either would blow to pieces in any kind of major crash, and I don't think I would let a wood frame rule out a quality rig who's other features and layout I liked better.

On the other hand, if that quality rig who's features I liked better had an aluminum option...

Old 02-27-2005, 11:09 AM
Range Rover

between the two I would choose the Weekend Warrior. It is better built all the way around. We owned a fleetwood and It was a piece of junk. Warrior only builds toy haulers. I think the other companies use aluminum for the weight. If your truck can pull the extra weight go Warrior.

Old 02-28-2005, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

go with aluminum. I got a triton trailer and love it. great construction and quality

Old 02-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

Look at the building of new houses. 99% of them are wood frames. very few have gone with aluminum, for one reason or another, maybe price??? anyway, i have a wooden framed toy hauler, and i am totally happy with it. remember, aluminum is lighter, and mostly used on toy haulers that have fiberglassed sides

Old 03-28-2005, 01:36 PM
lbc
Range Rover

I agree 100%. We are purchasing a new toyhauler and have been researching wood vs. aluminium. We have chose WW again. That is all they have ever built is toyhaulers. They are constructed with the intention of going off road. From all the information we have received all the others out there are just immitators. Basically they are taking a travel trailer and cutting a hole in the back. I don't know what you all think but I would not think a travel trailer is meant to carry the weight that a WW can and is designed to do. As far as aluminum vs. wood we were also informed about the condensation issues that occur within the walls of the trailer due to heat inside cold outside. Ultimately the aluminum will get corosion if it gets wet and any other metal touches it ie staples etc. Also your welds are going to be your weakest point if one pops the frame will bust through your fiberglass siding and the only way to fix the frame will be to re-weld or bolt it. All that being said if you keep your trailer sealed good wood it the way to go.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

If we lived in a perfect world, where the roads were flat, and smooth as glass.. and there was never any wind on the road to give you side load stress etc... and this and that... well we don't live in a perfect world..... Wood framed walls will flex and loosen up over time period. The more miles you drive, the rougher the roads you drive on, the quicker it will all pull apart.

Go with steel or alluminum framed models. They do NOT pull out staples, etc..

Old 04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
lbc
Range Rover

Well all other things aside one thing to consider is that Weekend Warrior offers (new for 2006) a lifetime structural warrenty which covers the chassis, wall framing and roof framing and they offer a 2 year bumper to bumper warrenty. In addition to a 20 year rubber roof warrenty and 25 yr warrenty on the floor decking. This was a huge selling point for us. There is no other toyhauler on the market that currently matches this warrenty. If they can afford to stand behind their product with a warrenty like this they must be doing something right, otherwise they would go bankrupt.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:05 AM
Quad Patrol

lbc, Welcome to the forum[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Our next trailer will also be a Weekend Warrior[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Like you said, their warranty is unmatched in the industry.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler - aluminum vs. wood frame