Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing capacity

You needed to look at another towing vehicle. With what you listed, I'm positive, you were over GVW You were on borrowed time. Just because it has a hitch, doesn't mean the vehicle was made to tow But, hey, you know what's best for your family.
For my min-van, its GCWR. That is Gross Combined Weight rating. That includes vehicle weight, whats inside and what you're towing. My wife's 98 Voyager is rated at 6350 GCWR and a vehicle weight of 4250. With a towing package it is rated at 8300 lbs. This gives 2100lbs total weight for passengers, trailer and gear. With a towing package, that is 4050 pounds.

Only one other weight to not excede and thats the GVWR which is 5210 for my wifes mini-van. This is the maximum weight that can be loaded in the van. That means less than 1000 pounds can be loaded inside, the rest must be towed. For you bean counters, 20 gal gas weighs 120 pounds.

I think most people don't realize what can be towed with a mini-van. One thing that makes it so capable is its sheer weight, it easy outweighs most any passenger car. Just for a comparison, this mini-van weighs the same as a Regular cab, standard box GMC Sierra pickup truck. With the tow package, its got the same tow capacity as the Sierra Vortec 4.3.

I remember that my old van had a similar weight capacity (2000 pounds). Although I do not account for every pound, I know that I feel quite comfortable pulling these kinds of loads behind a mini-van. It goes without saying that the hitch should be adequate. I always use at least 2000lb, 2" reciever frame hitches. Only makes sense.

It is also clear that these figures are not numbers that will break your vechicle. Quite the contrary, they are usually conservative because the manufacturer has to stand behind them. So fact is, you can feel quite comfortable loading your vehicle/trailer to its GCWR.
I hope this better answers your question Markymannn
BryceGTX

Old 02-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Towing capacity

Oh Markymannn. Your GCWR and GVWR numbers should be on a sticker on the back edge of the drivers door just below the door latch.
BryceGTX

Old 02-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Towing capacity

Bryce, my bad on the GCWR. Brain thought one thing and fingers typed another. hate it when that happens[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I didn't realize the towing capacity on your van. From your first post, it seemed you were pushing the limits. After your second post, with the numbers. It looks a lot better. rescue

Old 02-23-2005, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Towing capacity

LOL rescuediver. I should have detailed my numbers better in my first post.
Have a great day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX