Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....

Originally posted by: yaK
Just have to be a rable rouser and state the obvious.....while aluminum dose not rust it will corrode..... have a freind who thought he never had to wash the salt off cause its 'Aluminum' but after 7 years of hauling sleds in the heavy salt/calcium winter control mix , it came apart on a support . He thought it cracked ...but it had corroded away... goes to show ... if you look after it , it will last ....if not....
The reason I went with steel is because of the ease of repairs. Something bends or breaks you can heat it up and straighten it or cut it off and weld another piece on.

Old 04-05-2005, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

GE4x4

I've been shopping for a three place aluminum trailer. The Triton atv128-2 with surge brakes and a spare tire is exactly what I'm looking for, best price so far is $2465. Do you have any pics of your trailer? Who built it for you? Do you think they could duplicate some from an oline picture?

Thanks

Old 04-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

has anyone seen the shorelandr trailers the ones that all the boats are on . i think they make a very nice atv trailer our is a 3 place 2100 lb capacity weigh 820 lbs and has slotted metal floor boards with about 1 1/4 holes drilled in them every 6".ramps that come with it can be moved around the whole trailer to load from any side and store in the front and act as a rock guard we haul 4 atv 325 mag 700 sportsman 250 ex and 90 eton. everyone that see it like it and its cheep 1300 brand new. www.shorelandr.com

Old 04-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

The shorelandr trailers are nice. I almost bought one too, but since I had my dad buy my atvs for me where he lives, I had him get the trailer there too. I got a 5x14 steel trailer with full tube construction. It's made by RoadRunner. I tried to find a web site, but couldn't. I'm really happy with it. Easy to load the atvs with the builtin 4' ramp. The big plus is I can use it to haul landscaping crap since it has that 3500# axle and 15" tires. It was $1250.

Here's some pics if interested:
Pic 1
Pic 2

Old 04-14-2005, 02:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A buddy of mine has a Zieman, which I use when I don't need to take the toyhauler, and I'm really impressed with it.

It is a really nice steel trailer with steel deck with slats for water/mud to drain through, and really nice steel ramps, two on each side, that slide in to tuck under the deck when not in use.

If weight is a major concern, it probably isn't for you, but it really tows nice and ramps on both sides would be handy if you have (or your buddy has) a quad without reverse.

He got his used out of a classified for like $1000....

Zieman

Old 04-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Trailblazer

Ok i know this has probably been beaten up a million times but....how bad are those home depot trailers seriously. They have one for 700 its i think 5x8?? something like that. I will probably only use it to haul my new king quad less than a 100 miles one way. So maybe 200 miles in a weekend? Will it cut the cake? Also i drive a GMC Jimmy, will that yank it around ok?

Old 04-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Those have those little dinky tires on them, don't they? Though most of your rides might be only a few miles away, wouldn't it be nice to have something you could confidently run at extended freeway speeds?

For the same money, I would look for something (perhaps used) with 15" rims.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider

I've been looking at those home depot trailers also. The snowmobile trailer is great for the quads, but it isnt so good as a utility trailer (obviously). I have moved a couple full loads of firewood with it, but it banged around inside and dented the walls of the cover (I was expecting that). I have never taken my fourwheelers any further than camp (just a few minutes on the highway), so I don't think that the highway speeds would ever be a problem. How well do these hold up over time? Do they rust out quickly, or do they last pretty long?
tyler

Old 06-04-2006, 05:06 AM
Trailblazer

I'm new to the forum here, but have ridden quads since they were first released in the 80's. I've had several trailers over the years, mainly made of mild steel. As time went on in my life, I got married and have two kids. Both kids are now of age where they have machines able to crawl the tallest dunes and keep up with the wife and I.

All this talk about trailers to haul your machines baffles me.

Please don't misunderstand me as I'm not meaning to be offensive in your choices of trailers.

IMHO...your quads are your fun. Not cheap by any means these days. We get insurance for our cars and trucks that we cherish and baby so that when....[and hopefully it doesn't happen] there's a mishap, things happen a bit easier at repair time.

Consider this..

Quads these days on the average cost roughly $5,000 for basics models. I myself have 4 for the whole families enjoyment, along with a custom aluminum trailer that I pull behind mine for hunting trips and work on my property. The trailer I pull behind my quad is made of aluminum, which cost me $1,400.00 alone.

OK....enough with my toys.

I just ordered a Triton XT14-101 that hauls four large quads. [see photo] [cost was $2,499.00+tax/license/title & cost of additional options]

myurl

I look at the trailer value the same as I do as my toys on it. You get what you pay for.

The Triton trailers have been in use for years and have proven themselves. Triton has many styles to choose from and I feel it's worth the extra $$

Happy Quadding Fellas !!

Old 06-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

In my case. I take no offence to your post. I am only hauling 1 quad. I don't like the Depot trailers. The Tritons are awesome. I actually went my own route. I built my own. I found a boat trailer, that was fairly new. I moved the axle up closer, and I squared off the front end with mild steel. I also put steel braces every 2 foot down the bed. then I used treated plywood and facined it down. The trailer is killer, and it has an axle that is rated for like 3000lbs. It is a bit heavy, although it is not small. It tracks very nicely behind my truck.

Quick Reply: TRAILERS what to buy? What not to buy? lets hear it....