Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Insulating Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insulating Enclosed Trailer

I have a 25' Interstate Quadcycle (AKA snowmobile style [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) Enclosed Trailer.

I'm going to gut it, insulate it, and wire it all up.
Has anybody done this?
If so, what type of insulation have you used?

I know I can do it cheaper than the factory stuff, so I haven't looked at that.
One of my thoughts is some stuff at Lowe's or Home Depot.
They have sheets of foam insulation that are about the right thickness and fairly inexpensive.

Any other thoughts or ideas would be great [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks a Bunch

Old 06-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rigid foam from Lowe's will work fine, although it's a little difficult to insulate all the corners. Insulstion works much like the weak link on a chain - leave a few areas uninsulated and the insulation you do put in doesn't help very much.

Try looking at a camper supply store. There is a high density fiberglass/foil insulation made specifically for the walls of campers. This will do a much better job at getting 100% insulation coverage.

Jaybee

Old 06-01-2005, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

I used 2 blue foam boards from Home Depot behind 1/2" plywood on the walls and FRP on the ceiling. I had to stuff a lot of small pieces into the corners but it wasn't too hard. The insulation and carpet made a huge difference, a tiny little heater keeps my 16' toasty warm when it dips into the 30s.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

i would look in the phone book for a comercial refridgeration supply store. some of the stuff they use has a finished plastic side. it would look great on the inside of a trailer, plus keep you warm . i dont know how much it cost.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

i used 1 inch rigid board for insulation and sprayed the expanding foam insulation at the top and bottom of the trailer. i also used a 6 mill visqueen as a vapor barrier and used 11/32" luanon board. it will look great when i am done with it this weekend. i am also using 1" self tapping screw with a flat phillips head on it. you can get these at any fastnel company. post some pics when you are done. should look great if you take your time.

Old 06-03-2005, 03:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for the great info. I'm still researching....I'll definately look into the ideas given here.

I saw a trailer the other day that was sweet.
This guy used the nice indoor/outdoor carpet to finish all the walls, including the ceiling, in his trailer. It was grey in color. He did a great job and it looked sweet. I'm sure that did wonders for insulating also.

I'll take pics as soon as I tear into it and get started. Gotta figure out and do the electrical before insulating, doing both AC and DC. It'll be wired to the hilt for sure.

Thanks again everybody [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

I think duct-tape around the outsides should seal it up. Then get out the hobby knife and cut the doors open. Yeah thats what I recommend.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Get the hard board then the spray foam for the rest of the nooks and crannies.

Old 06-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I got my insulation from Home Depo. The foam board stuff. Nice stuff, super light. Can't beat it. My uprights are 1X1 so thats the thickness I got. Then I finished it off with FRP board. The FRP board is SUPER nice. Expensive thought at 30 bones a sheet!!!

Old 06-28-2005, 03:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I got my insulation from Home Depo. The foam board stuff. Nice stuff, super light.
I decided on that stuff. Got started and I think that is going to work out great. Easy stuff to work with.

Just gotta figure out the wiring (the fun part..NOT) now so I can get that done before putting all the insulation up.

Let the fun begin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2005, 03:55 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

Originally posted by: Quad4Fun
I got my insulation from Home Depo. The foam board stuff. Nice stuff, super light.
I decided on that stuff. Got started and I think that is going to work out great. Easy stuff to work with.

Just gotta figure out the wiring (the fun part..NOT) now so I can get that done before putting all the insulation up.

Let the fun begin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Sean
i can help,,,or at least show you what i did with my wiring

What do you want to do as far as wiring??

Quick Reply: Insulating Enclosed Trailer