Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

american freedom trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default american freedom trailer

Buttercup is at the southern end of the imperial sand dune ( Glamis ) You take the 10 to the 86 towards brawley/ el centro and then take highway 8 and go past el centro. I forget what off ramp it is but you will see all the trailers and stuff. Its a blast. Dunes for ever. It takes us about 2 1/2 hours . There is usually a good crowd there, but nothing like Glamis. I like Ocotillo better ,mainly because it has a little of everthing , the place in Joshua tree is just like Ocotillo but not as big.

2500 HD 4 x 4 crew cab
blown 450 ex
400 ex
500 predator TLD cross country edition
TTR 90

Old 01-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Buttercup is off the I-8 at Grays Well, about 40 to 50 minutes south of Brawley, about 15 miles to the AZ border.

Blown, would you consider Gordon's or Ocotillo instead? We were at Buttercup for Veteran's day and it was way way too crowded for my taste. Toy box on top of toy box on top of toy box. Gordon's seems to have more room and it's a closer ride to the Para-dice! I've been working on friends and family to go to Ocotillo that weekend to no avail just yet. If I can't put the pressure on we may just see you at Buttercup!

Old 01-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

Katstoy, To answer your question on location, my preferance is this place in Joshua tree. But half of the people that are going are from the Yuma AZ. area. And the person who is setting up this trip is one of the Az parties. A bunch of drama. I like Ocotillo because theres alot of differant terrain. This place in Joshua tree is just a little smaller than Ocotillo. And its only 1 hour from my house. Crowds suck though especially when you have little ones like I do as well as friends of mine to look after. I may just make up a little lie and go to Joshua tree or Ocotillo. It gets crowded at ocotillo as well but usually only at the dunes and some of the more popular hills. I have never been to Gordons, its by buttercup right . I'll keep ya posted as to where Our crew lands on Presidents day.

2500 HD 4 x 4 crew
blown450
400 ex
500 predator
TTR 90
21 ft AF toy box

Old 01-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider

I hear you on the drama, I have family in Phoenix and lord forbid if they drive an extra hour to Ocotillo. . .

Gordon's the is one exit west on the I-8 from Buttercup. The staging area is much larger than Buttercup and there is a lot of scrub and bushed to kind of keep some privacy and other toy haulers from parking 5' from your door. My preference is Ocotillo for that weekend. I have Mrs. AZ convinced to come, now if only she can convince Mr. AZ. The hard ones are the rest of the family from the high desert. Let's scr*w them all and meet at Ocotillo! I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

blown 450 were is the place in joshua tree? my wife loves that area out there. i want to try to get out there this weekend. we are suppose to pick up the trailer friday. any tips on things we need to take with us? or things we need to do to trailer before we go?

Old 01-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Trailblazer

Take the highway 62 towards Yucca and go thru the town of Joshua tree. Keep a look out for a highway patrol office on the right side, once you see it start looking for a street called SUNFAIR RD. you will turn LEFT. Go to BROADWAY and turn RIGHT go till pavement ends, continue on the rough and rutty road. The hills you see in front are all open riding area. Behind them there are several sand dunes and some good trail riding. You can camp anywhere along the lake bed or for that matter anywhere you want, I follow the road straight and you will see a road keep going straight ahead and up off the lake bed, its got a little home made track for the kids up that road . I have been going there for a couple of years now and have yet to see all of it. I have talked to people there that have been going there for 15 or 20 years, so the locals in the area go there alot. If you go let me know how it was. I am going there the 1-20 to 1-22 nice little weekend trip. As far as a checklist on the trailer lets see.
1. Fill Propane tanks; turn on and check for leaks, stove,hot water heater
2. Make sure fridge works. ( 24 hours to cool down to temperature )
3. fill water tanks, check for leaks
4. Put gas in fuel station make sure the pump works and test the generator. Your pump station is the generators fuel supply.
5. Make sure all lights work, outlets, fill sinks, check for leaks
6. Get locks for loading ramp.
7. Turn on water pump and pressurize line and check for leaks at the fawcets and connections.
8. Fire up the hot water heater, see if the fridge lights up

Just a little check list that I went through with mine because you hate to get somewhere with a new toy and somthing happen. Also because of the vibrations and bangin these rigs are put thru, every so often check the fittings that connect the hot/cold water lines to the fawcets, they sometimes work them selves loose and leak, That is a problem i had ONCE. I usually only pull like half a tank of water up there to Joshua Tree, why pull all the extra weight if you do not have to. Remember water and gas weigh 8 lbs per gallon. just a little FYI.Have fun and if there is something else i can help you with let me know. Maybe we will see you out there sometime.

2500 HD 4 x 4 crew
blown 450 ex
400 ex
500 predator TLD
TTR 90
21 ft AF toy box

Old 01-14-2006, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

WOW, so glad I came upon this site, my husband and I saw the AF trailer today for the first time and really liked it but was nervous since we haven't heard of them before! We are looking at the 33 ft FW, nobody had anything to say about it. You said that you put in some special orders for your trailer, did you do that at USA bank repos or did you buy directly from the factory? The guy we spoke to at USA didn't seem that special orders were options, except for the 2nd bed in the back, or maybe the FW already came with most of those options or something....just wondering....any imput would be great....we have been looking for a trailer for a while and this one has really got my eye, just wanna make sure it is worth it....!

Old 01-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

Hello CAMPINMAMA, when I ordered my 21ft front bed they did not have the halogen lights on the porch side so I had them add 2 lights. Also the standard water tank is 65 gallons. I had them add another 65 gallon tank. Its so nice having all that water on those long trips. NO you can not order factory direct, Johnny at the Riverside lot is cool to work with, there really flexible with the thongs you can do with your trailer to. I orderd mine with no TV, or MIcro, really you can by one at Walmart cheaper and do it yourself. I also purchased my own Onin 5.0 generator,but I did have Doug at the factory run all the wiring to a junction box where the generator goes as well as the fuel lines from the pump station. You can save some money doing some things on your own, the markup is a little steep. for those 3 options. American Freedom trailers are a quality built unit at an awsome price, you won't regret that you bought it. let me know if you have any more questions and keep us posted on you trailer hunting.

21 ft AF toy box
2500 HD 4 x 4 crew cab
blown 450 ex
400 ex
500 predator TLD
TTR 90

" shut up and just ride it "

Old 08-21-2006, 02:02 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

So, where does everybody stand since January on these American Freedom trailers? I had never heard of them until today while I was out scouring six different RV lots looking for some pre-owned toy haulers. Was very impressed with the initial price and after having gone through the majority of thier models I think my mind is made up. Had to come home and use the trusty old internet for information on them and am more impressed.

Here's my predicament, I only have a 2000 F150 Super Cab 4.6 to tow with. I have two Bombardier DS650's that will need to fit. Weight wise it looks like I may be able to go 19.5/20ft. Maybe even a 21ft. Is that correct from your experience? The price of one of these 2007 AF haulers is lower than a three or four yr old WW or Fun Runner.

Look forward to some insight as this will be our first toy hauler.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Still loving it, and can't wait to go riding again. Now that the weather's a bit cooler the fits riding weekend is coming up soon!

I hae the 17' box. I can fit an 8' long golf cart, a full sized 300 Kawa and a mid sized 160 Zuki with no problem. My only complaint is that once everything is in, you don't have access to the bathroom. The golf cart goes in first and butts right up against the front counter (thus blocking bathroom access), the Kawa goes in right behind that, and the Zuki goes in right next to the Kawa (tight squeeze and sometimes I lift the front wheel of the Zuki up on to the wheel well. On the up side, since everything is packed in I don't have to tie anything down!

I considered buying a new one for this season, but will keep the 17' for at least one more year. It's perfect and cheap. For kicks I checked out a WW at the last off road show in May. For a 25' I would have more than doubled my payments. No thanks. When it's time to upgrade, I'm going back to AF.

Quick Reply: american freedom trailer