Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

how high is 2 high as far as the bed height to tow a 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how high is 2 high as far as the bed height to tow a 5th wheel

i have an 02 f350 w/ solid 6" kit and 37's i want to know if any one has info on how big they have towed or seen a 5 wheel towed semi-level and wats the best way to lift the 5 wheel flip the axle's? please and thank u

Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how high is 2 high as far as the bed height to tow a 5th wheel

Different brands are different height, and generallly the newer ones are built to clear the higher bedrails of newer pickups.

With that big lift and tires, though, I don't know if you could make it work.

Flipping axles is kind of a misnomer. You want to relocate the axles from above the spring pack to below, but not actually flip the axle tubes because they are arched to flatten out when they are under load. The height you will gain is diameter of the axle tube plus the thickness of the spring pack, and plus the twice the height of the perch. Dexter makes a bolt on relocation kit that ancors it's self to the stock perch, or you can buy perches like the factory ones that weld on.

I wouldn't recommend cutting off the stock perches to reweld them on the other side, since it's handy to line up and square up the new perch relative to the stock one. Also the perches aren't that expensive, and if you sell the 5th wheel the next owner might want it at stock height (which is simple if the stock perches are still on).

I just bought 4 new perches, pulled the axles out and had them welded on. Even paying a welder it was cheaper, and I feel a little more secure with them welded on.

Anyway, the frame by the hitch ended up about 63" off the ground when sitting level. You will want a minimum of about 8" between the bedrails and frame, and remember that the pin weight will lower the truck a couple inches.

Some rigs are setup with the axle already below the spring pack, in which case you would have to fabricate some sort of sub-frame to lift it much.