Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Need advice on towing travel trailer and two quads

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on towing travel trailer and two quads

I've got a travel 31ft travel trailer and one quad and I'm considering buying a second quad. What I need some guidance on is how to tow all this stuff. I've seen dual quad racks that fit in a pickup with the quads riding above the bed rail. But I was wondering about other methods.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you can do depends on what tow vehicle you have, how the trailer is set up and what kind of quads you have.

I would think that the best solution would be to carry the two quads on the back of the truck using something like this: http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/atvmain.asp

This will only work if you have a heavy-duty long bed truck and a hitch type trailer. Other thoughts: Pull a trailer behind yur trailer that holds the ATV's. makes for a long rig and it can't be backed up plus it may not be legal in some states. Convert your trailer to a toy hauler. Make or get some form of platform that attaches to the back of the trailer - put one ATV in the truck bed and one on the trailer platform.

Lighter sport ATV's will be easier to work with than 4x4 utility models.

Jaybee

Old 01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I have seen a similar type of truck bed rack but was curious as what other methods people have come up with.

I've got a F250 6L with a 6ft bed and a travel trailer so a bed rack is an option. I've also consider fabricating a rack that ties into the frame for the back of the trailer but I'm concerned about tongue weight and it doesn't solve the problem of getting to the trail head

Old 01-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Stand them both up in the back of the truck.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always felt that the best set up for an extended ATV traveling vacation would be a toy hauler that holds an open trailer in it's garage. For taveling, put the trailer into the toy hauler and then load your two ATV's on the trailer. Once set up in camp, you can use the small trailer to transport to different trailheads.

But that would mean buying all new gear.

Jaybee

Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Since you already have a camp trailer and a truck, I would say go with the deck that goes on your bed. I've never used one, but I have pulled the quads on a trailer behind the camp trailer and its not fun. Pulling with a Suburban didn't give me the option for the deck, but we went back to tenting it because pulling triple was more of a pain. Then again if you had the right set-up maybe it wouldn't be a big deal. Our quad trailer would sway if we got over 50, and I didn't like not being able to see the quads (until it started swaying!)

Old 03-18-2008, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

We had the same issue and recently ran across these ATV stackers that sit in the bed of your truck. Looks pretty cool. I'm considering buying them for myself. Toystacker.com

Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

My next truck will have an aluminum flat bed instead of the regular bed. You can haul a trailer, set up at camp and leave the trailer, go to the trail heads with your quads on the truck