Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Weekend Warrior trailers

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weekend Warrior trailers

I have a 2006 23ft weekend warrior "super lite" trailer and I want to filp the axles to get more ground clearance. Does anybody have any information about this or where I can find out more information. Thanks

Old 01-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

still only going to clear as much as the axels are off the ground

Old 01-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

"Flip" is a bit of a misnomer. You actually weld a new perch on the top of the axle so you can relocate it from above to below the spring pack. The axles have a arch built into them so they flatten out somewhat when loaded, so you don't want to run them upside down.

Some folks either fabricate the spring seats, or cut them off and relocate them to the other side. I think it's better to just get a set from your auto parts store, or etrailer.com or whatever for your diameter axle. That way you can use the existing spring seat/perch to make sure the new one is clamped down square for welding, and also if you leave the stock ones in place the trailer can be put back down to original height.

Alternately, Dexter offers an axle relocation kit that bolts on and locates to the existing spring perch for 2 3/8" and 3" tubes. To me having regular ones welded on seems more solid, and is cheaper. There is a page about them at Dexteraxle.com.

Make sure you know what you are doing, safety wise, if you do it your self. Otherwise, a trailer shop would probably do it for a reasonable price.

I blocked up my Patio Hauler and took the axles and new perches to a professional welder, and now I can tow the thing level while having lots of breathing room between the bedrails and the underside of the 5th wheel frame and it handles and rides fine. Cost was under $100 for parts and welding fee.

Be aware that your ramp will end up steeper, and stabalizer jacks may not reach without adding an extension or using a chunk of blocking.

P.S. I see this was your first post here. Welcome to the forum.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, I wasn't clear regarding what I meant by "ground clearance". I am refering to the distance from the bottom of the trailer to the ground, not the clearance from axle to ground. Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jeffin TD,
Thanks for the great information. I 'll post the results once the project is completed. Thanks for the welcome ! !

Old 01-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats kind of funny I've lowered both my trailers by do reverse what you want to do .neither one is a camper

Old 01-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Full Throttle,
Try doing an "axle flip" search on the following toy hauler forum http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm

THis is a common mod that most SUperlite owners including myself have had done to increase ground clearance for the low hanging sewer plumbing. Mine was done by dealer so I don't have any how to details to share. My rear stabilizer jacks still reach the ground without any problems, however you will most likely want to add a taller double step for your door entrance.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am looking to increase the height for the same reason. "The sewer plumbing" hangs too low. Thanks for the forum site. I'll check it out

Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

IRV2.com also has a nice RV related discussion forum. Family friendly vocabulary, and no politics.

Having all the sewer pipe, including the dump valves, up inside the enclosed and heated underbelly is one of the things that attracted me to Patio Hauler. I wish more makes did that.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Weekend Warrior trailers"></title><script src=

Jeffin TD,
Over/under is complete. Project was a complete success and I did all the work myself. ( Dexteraxles) The trailer now sits high enough so I don't have any problems with the clean-out being to low. I just finished a trip of over 400 miles and did not notice any difference in the towing characteristics. I did have to add another step to my drop-down steps because of the added height. . GREAT ADVISE ! ! THANKS

ps. For added safety, I did weld the new perch's to the axles.