Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Toyota Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Tundra

Anyone tow with a Toyota Tundra? What is the maximum towing capacity for this truck? I have an enclosed trailer that has a maximum GVWR of 10,000 lbs. The trailer itself is 3,800 lbs, and at most it would have a 4,500 lb Jeep in it. Can the Tundra be equipped to tow that trailer, and how well would it do it?

Thanks,
DV

Old 08-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Toyota Tundra

I was also wondering what people who own the new Tundra think of it. I will be selling my GMC 2500HD soon and am thinking of a Tundra or Nissan Titan Pro 4X. Right now Nissan is a little closer to what I am looking for than Toyota. Just curious.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Toyota Tundra

This all depends on what year of Toyo you are talking about if its the old body style you never catch me tow that kinda weight with it!

Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Toyota Tundra

The 2008 shows a tow capacity of 10,300 pounds.

Moose, don't know how the Nissan would compare with your 2500, but I traded in our 1500 Silverado, and I'm completely happy with it. Better towing and ride. Suspension wise, I had to change out the "heavy duty" shocks on the Chevy, but not the Nissan. Even gets better gas mileage around town.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Default Toyota Tundra

I saw a Titan pulling a good sized camper that would make an F250 sag and it was doing well with it. For whatever reason I think F250s are much softer sprung than a comparable Dodge or Chevy. If worse came to worse I could get a leaf added on each side as long as it doesn't void the warranty. I was talking to a Toyota rep. last March and he said they are coming out with a heavy duty Tundra. I won't buy a truck if it doesn't have at least a 6.5' bed and 8,000lbs. towing in a true crew cab. I also like to have at least a 3/4 ton because I haul wet firewood from VT and NH in the bed of my truck. I haven't had much luck with my American pickups that I've had. Both an F350 and a GMC 2500HD with thousands of dollars of problems.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Toyota Tundra

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MooseHenden

I saw a Titan pulling a good sized camper that would make an F250 sag and it was doing well with it. For whatever reason I think F250s are much softer sprung than a comparable Dodge or Chevy. If worse came to worse I could get a leaf added on each side as long as it doesn't void the warranty. I was talking to a Toyota rep. last March and he said they are coming out with a heavy duty Tundra. I won't buy a truck if it doesn't have at least a 6.5' bed and 8,000lbs. towing in a true crew cab. I also like to have at least a 3/4 ton because I haul wet firewood from VT and NH in the bed of my truck. I haven't had much luck with my American pickups that I've had. Both an F350 and a GMC 2500HD with thousands of dollars of problems.</end quote></div>

Should have gotten a Cummins! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
Default Toyota Tundra

Since I bought the truck for my wife, I didn't get the 7' bed. Would have been nice, but let me tell you, those crew cabs with that sized beds were long. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I'm pulling a small trailer. Weekend Warrior Super lite. They say it's 4500 dry weight. By the time I load 3 quads and all our stuff, and people in the cab, I pretty well loaded down.

There's a big hill I'd have to take to get to one of our riding areas. In the Chevy, it was tachin out at about 6500, and I was sure to be in the far right lane. First time I took out the Nissan, loaded with the same people and stuff, it was pulling about 4200rpm when I passed my brother in law going up the same hill.

That surprised us both. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 08-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Default Toyota Tundra

Yeah, the F350 I had was the Powerstroke 7.3. I used to load the back with wet firewood and a 5x8 trailer that was 18" deep with the same wet wood. On the hills of Route 89 in VT and NH it wouldn't even have to downshift with that kind of load. But it puked out 2 heater cores per winter for the 2 years I owned it and finally the engine oil cooler. It went good for 8 months so I felt I could trade it in with a good conscience at that point. The GMC has been even more expensive with a transmission failing at 80,000 miles. It sounds like both the Titan and the Tundra have plenty of grunt for my needs. They both have had great reviews and I've talked to a few guys with them and every person I've talked to hasn't had any problems.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Default Toyota Tundra

You guys looking for a new Titan need to hurry as next year-or two Titan 1500 will be built by Dodge! FYI And yes it will have the coil sprung rearend!
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/ht...an/chryslertitan2.html

Old 08-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
Default Toyota Tundra

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

You guys looking for a new Titan need to hurry as next year-or two Titan 1500 will be built by Dodge! FYI And yes it will have the coil sprung rearend!

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/ht...an/chryslertitan2.html</end quote></div>

Don't you mean wait? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Toyota Tundra